Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Mar Vista employees suffer burns after lawn party explosion

General manager Anthony Cucci and cook Andres Herrera-Cardenas were treated and released from local hospitals.


  • By
  • | 12:19 p.m. December 5, 2016
  • Longboat Key
  • News
  • Share

While cooking at the 6th annual Kiwanis Club Gourmet Lawn Party, two Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub employees suffered first- and second-degree burns following the explosion of a small fuel canister.

General manager Anthony Cucci suffered between first-and second-degree burns to his elbow and the side and top of his face. Andres Herrera-Cardenas, a cook at the restaurant, suffered first-degree burns on one of his arms and the side of his face. Both were transported to local hospitals and released after treatment, Martha Wright, chief financial officer for The Chiles Restaurant Group said.

Both have returned to work but were encouraged to take a couple days to rest and relax.

“Anthony got to a meeting we had this morning, and he looked fine,” Wright said. “He obviously has some healing to do, but overall, we were very lucky.”

The canister was being installed into a burner when it exploded. The state fire marshal was called to the scene to investigate, Longboat Key Fire Department Chief Paul Dezzi said in an email. 

 

 

 

Related Articles

  • November 24, 2014
Mar Vista anchors new dock