The Players Centre for Performing Arts has formed a nonprofit to remodel the Payne Park auditorium for its new home. The nonprofit, The Stage at Payne Park LLC, plans to raise $8 million for the project. The Players will match all community donations up to $4 million.
The Stage will kick off its capital campaign in September. The project, which will be located at 2100 E. Laurel St., is expected to be complete for the 2025-26 season.
The organization is currently finalizing the selection of an architect, an engineer, a general contractor and a business development leader.
The Stage also announced its new management team:
- Brian McCarthy, board member for The Players: CEO
- David Sanders, board member for The Players: CFO
- Steven Butler, artistic director for The Players: chair of the community consortium committee
- Nancy Jenkins: project manager for new construction
- Bill Porter, chair of The Players board of trustees: advisory board member
- William Skaggs, CEO for The Players: advisory board member
"We've assembled a great group to advise on design, acoustics, programming, sound and lighting to make sure we develop a facility appropriate for our performing arts community," said McCarthy.
The Stage plans to gather feedback from performing arts organizations on design and other requirements. "We want The Stage to be configured to accommodate as many of our Sarasota performing arts organizations as possible," McCarthy said.
The city of Sarasota has approved terms for The Stage through The Players' lease agreement for the future home of the arts organization.