A few blocks south of Main Street, nestled between Pineapple and Orange Avenues, is the historic district known as Burns Square. An area named after Owen Burns, one of Sarasota’s prominent developers, bankers, entrepreneurs, and citizens; whose legacy is evidenced throughout Sarasota.
A tightly defined area, Burns Square plays an integral role in the development of today’s Sarasota. Burns Square comprises historic buildings, small shops, residential condos, Florida bungalows, galleries, the Burns Court Cinema, restaurants, and café’s.
This week we are looking at one of the new restaurants to open in the area; Bond, located right at the intersection of Orange and Pineapple. With its outdoor tables and umbrellas, the brick patio, the fountain, and the historical buildings, one cannot help but feel a little bit of Europe when visiting Bond. Primarily a lunch spot with a limited menu in the evening, Bond serves lunchtime dishes with a creative twist. The menu offers specialty sandwiches, small plates classified as starters, and creative salads. For our meals we chose the following:
- Sausage and Fennel: Italian sweet sausage, fresh fennel and provolone on ciabatta with side of salad. $9.45 Sweet anise flavor, savory, satisfying
- Beet Salad: Slow roasted beets, goat cheese, and bed of arugula with light vinaigrette. $9.45 Tasty, light, not too big, a good salad lunch.
- Bond Spinach Salad: Fresh picked spinach, cherry tomato, goat cheese, almonds and seasonal fruit. $8.95 Somewhat disappointing...some wilted spinach and perhaps not enough “other” ingredients to make this salad special.
- Napa Turkey Club: Sliced turkey breast, prosciutto, provolone, avocado, tomato with chipotle mayo. $9.45 A great sandwich, nice presentation, flavorful and filling
- Amazing Salmon: Salmon served with Quinoa and fennel $11.95 A nicely seasoned, moist salmon filet, colorful, flavorful, nice presentation
Bond offers a wide selection of soft drinks and a limited selection of beer and wine to accompany your meal. We found the wait staff to be attentive, efficient, and friendly.
If you are looking for a casual spot for lunch or perhaps a light evening meal and glass of wine(starting in January), consider Bond. I think you will have a pleasant experience.