+ Chamber hopes poker night draws a full house
The Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce is hosting a poker tournament Thursday, June 7, at the Sarasota Kennel Club to raise funds for the Fourth of July Siesta Key fireworks show.
Kevin Cooper, executive director of the Siesta Chamber, has allotted space for 200 people. Because the event is being held for the first time, the turnout is difficult to predict, he said.
The Siesta Key Chamber, which shoulders the entire cost of the fireworks show, has raised 20% of the roughly $34,000 needed to pay for the Fourth of July celebration.
The pre-registration reception will begin at 6 p.m., and the tournament will start at 7 p.m. The initial buy-in is $60 with the option of adding $5 and participants can buy-in again within the first hour of the tournament for $60. Attendees will get complimentary soft pretzels and soft drinks during pre-registration and a dinner buffet during the tournament.
The top six players receive payouts, and the overall winner will receive $2,000 if the event sells out.
To register visit siestakeychamber.com.
Meetings & Agendas
• Siesta Key Association monthly meeting — 4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 7, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, Room F, 5615 Midnight Pass Rd., Siesta Key
• CONA: Sarasota County Commission candidate forum — 7 p.m. Monday, June 11, Sarasota Garden Club, 1131 Boulevard of the Arts, Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission budget workshop — 9 a.m. Tuesday, June 12, Administration Building, Think Tank, third floor, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission budget workshop — 9 a.m. Wednesday, June 13, Administration Building, Think Tank, third floor, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Coastal Advisory Committee special meeting — 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 12, Administration Building, commission chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota