The Downtown Sarasota Alliance hosted its third annual Evening of Recognition and Awards Celebration Feb. 21 at Tamiami Tap.
DSA Chair and Presenting Sponsor Shay Atluru started the celebration with a brief presentation on DSA’s mission. "Our job is to increase the quality of life in downtown for residents, merchants and businesses," Atluru said.
Local businesses, merchants and community members sat on the edge of their seats as they waited for the award winners to be announced.
"Someone who brings value to the community should be recognized," said Atluru. He explains that many times these local business and people make the community a better place without the expectation of acknowledgement or reward. "That's what we are doing (the DSA Annual Evening of Recognition and Awards Ceremony). We are saying, 'Thank you for all that you're doing.'"
The following individuals and organizations were recognized for the contributions to the community:
- DSA presented the Third Annual Paul Thorpe “Mr. Downtown” Award: City Manager Marlon Brown
- Visit Sarasota County presented the Non-Profit of the Year Award: Teen Court
- The Economic Development Corp. of Sarasota County presented the Community Impact Award: Geckos Hospitality Group
- The Meadows Country Club presented the New Business of the Year Award: Main Street Creamery
- Diversified Technology Consultants presented the Young Professional of the Year Award: Greater Sarasota Chamber Director of Membership Engagement Craig McGonigal