In the center of downtown Sarasota, located on Main Street just between Lemon and Orange avenues, is the simple, understated, yet defined frontispiece for Mélange. The original home to Lan, an eclectic haven for fusion cuisine started by Chef/Owner Lan Bradeen in March 2007, Mélange is a reincarnation of Lan, showcasing a revamped menu and dining space with a casually sophisticated modern approach to dining. With simple, elegant décor, the emphasis at Mélange is squarely placed upon the innovative food, creative cocktails, craft beers and wine.
The cuisine at Mélange offers a wide variety of small plates with Asian, American and European influences and accents. We tasted the following:
- House Salad: Mixed greens, white balsamic vinaigrette, spicy cucumbers, berries, almonds. $5.00
A very fresh mix of greens, colors and textures; a nice contrast of tanginess and sweetness, lightly dressed. A great way to begin your meal.
- Branzino: Meyer lemon and tarragon mousse, white beans, roasted tomato, collard greens. $16.00
A fresh, firm fish with a citrusy sweet flavor and a nice mouthfeel.
- Duck Brie Crepes: Shredded duck, brie, currants and almonds. Brandy cream sauce. $12.00
A superbly rich, flavorful, creamy dish, with touches of sweetness and crunch. Delicious.
- Smoked Quail Breast: Plum chutney, braised lentils with Brussels sprouts and bacon. $12.00
A smoky, slightly sweet dish with hints of bitter flavoring throughout.
- Foie Gras: Pear, baby arugula, soy mirin reduction. $18.00
A creamy, rich, lush, melt-in-your-mouth texture with a sweet finish from the pear.
- Mini Cheeseburgers: Three sliders with smoked Havarti, beer-braised onions, spicy mustard mayo, arugula. $10.00
An updated version of an American classic. Juicy; great flavor with a slightly spicy finish.
- Spicy Tuna and Avocado: Ahi tuna tartare, avocado, sriracha aioli, wonton crisp. $12.00
Creamy, tasty and spicy but very flavorful. The crispiness of the wonton just added another dimension: crunch.
- Rabbit Tacos: Seasoned with curry, mango fennel slaw, crème fraiche. $9.00
Such a great mix of flavors and textures: sweet, mild and slightly crunchy.
- VC Sandwich: Pork tenderloin, cucumbers, pickled carrots, mayo, cilantro, shallots, baguette. $11.00
A perfectly-prepared sandwich, full of contrasting yet complementary flavors, served on a crispy baguette. My mouth is watering just writing this.
- Venison Sausage Pasta: House made pappardelle, crimini mushrooms, creamy tomato and sherry sauce. $16.00
Fresh home-made pasta, with a deep flavored sauce and chunks of sausage that added great texture to the dish.
- Chocolate walnut bread pudding: $9.00
Perhaps some of the finest bread pudding around. Rich chocolate with nice crunch and texture from the walnuts. Sweet but not overpowering. A great finish to the meal.
Mélange offers a full bar service with carefully selected beers, wines, sakes and distilled spirits to accompany your meal. The wait staff is very helpful in describing various menu items and offering suggestions on items to try. We found the service to be just right, there when needed but unobtrusive overall.
Aptly named, Mélange is offering a unique dining experience for Sarasota. With a wide assortment of menu items and preparations, this is the perfect place to try something new and different. Mélange's diversity of cuisine, assortment of complementary ingredients and contrasting flavors contained in each singular dish redefine dining as “a tasting experience to be shared with others.”
Mélange: providing a daily food fest for foodies!
1568 Main St.
Sarasota, FL 34236