- February 23, 2012
+ SCVB wins top award for US Airways insert
The Sarasota Convention & Visitors Bureau, in partnership with Sarasota resident Harry Leopold, Pace Communications and ChappellRoberts, has won Best in Show, the top honor in the Destination Management Organization category, in the SASI-ONE (Shop America Salutes Innovation) Awards.
SASI-ONE recognized the collaborators for the 48-page, four-color special insert in the November 2011 US Airways in-flight magazine.
In addition to the magazine’s being distributed in the airline’s seat-back pockets, it is online at www.sarasotafl.org and www.usairways.com, garnering additional exposure.
Furthermore, the special insert provided a special QR code, which directed visitors to a landing page with more information on special arts and cultural guides in Sarasota County.
The SASI-ONE Awards for shopping and cultural-tourism marketing excellence recognize prominent leaders in the tourism industry for their vision and commitment. The achievements of SASI-ONE winners from throughout the United States, Mexico, Latin America and Korea, and the winners of the special awards, were showcased in a 55-minute video presentation Jan. 17 during the ONE Travel Conference, held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in Orlando.
+ New principal named
The Board of Directors of Sarasota School of Arts & Sciences has named Tara Tahmosh-Newell the school’s new principal, effective Feb. 1. Tahmosh-Newell has been with Sarasota School of Arts & Sciences since 2000. She received both her undergraduate degree and her master’s degree in educational leadership from the University of South Florida.
“Tahmosh-Newell embodies the spirit of SSA&S and the board looks forward to working with her in her new position as Principal,” said board President Larry Eger, in a news release.
Tahmosh-Newell will take the place of the interim principal, Marilyn Highland, a former member of the school’s Board of Directors who had agreed to lead the school after its former principal resigned in December 2010. Highland will return to her position on the school’s Board of Directors.
Sarasota School of Arts & Sciences is a high-performing charter school serving middle-school students in grades six through eight. The school recently completed a move into its newly constructed three-story building located at 645 Central Avenue in downtown Sarasota and is in the process of constructing its new gymnasium, planned for completion in the fall.
Meetings & Agendas
• Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Board Special Meeting — 3 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 26, City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
• Gillespie Park Neighborhood Association Meeting — 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 26, Gillespie Park Police Substation, Sarasota.
• Downtown Sarasota Alliance Meeting — 8 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 1, Church of the Redeemer, 22 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota.
• Development Review Committee Meeting — 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 1, City Hall, Room 112, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
• Sarasota City Commission Regular Meeting — 2:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 6, City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota.