+ Jaleski qualifies for commission seat
Former Longboat Key Commissioner Gene Jaleski is running for a Town Commission seat once again.
Town Clerk Trish Granger said Jaleski has qualified for the at-large, two-year term seat currently held by Commissioner Phillip Younger. Younger, meanwhile, has qualified for a commission seat, but has until Nov. 19 to tell Granger whether he is running for his two-year term, at-large seat or the one-year, at-large seat currently held by Commissioner Terry Gans.
In other commission race news:
• Gans has qualified for the one-year, at-large seat, and Key resident Joseph Iannello has qualified for that seat as well.
• District 2 Commissioner Jack Duncan has qualified for his seat and currently has no challengers.
• Mayor Jim Brown has qualified for his District 4 seat, and Key resident Larry Grossman has picked up paperwork for that seat, but has not qualified.
+ Longboater reappointed by Governor Scott
Governor Rick Scott announced Tuesday the reappointments of Michael W. Haycock, Vernon C. Hollingsworth and James S. Horrisberger to the Florida Citrus Commission.
Haycock, 63, of Longboat Key, has 18 years of citrus industry experience with Proctor and Gamble and Tropicana. He was reappointed for a term beginning Oct. 19 and ending May 31, 2015.
+ Longboat not listed on Condé Nast awards
For the second consecutive year, Maui is the top-rated island in the United States, according to Condé Nast Traveler readers.
Also for the second year in a row: Longboat Key is not among the nation’s top 10 islands, according to the magazine’s readers.
Conde Nast Traveler magazine released its 2012 Readers Choice Awards last week, and like last year, five of this year’s top-10-rated islands in the United States are in Hawaii.
+ Progress report
The latest Publix developments provide a window into the project. Windows and exterior framing for the grocery store and Shoppes of Bay Isles are completed, and interior framing is currently under way. The new store is scheduled to open in December.
Meetings & Agendas
• Town Commission Regular Meeting — 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 5.
• Code Enforcement Board Regular Meeting — 10 a.m. Monday, Nov. 12.
• Town Commission Regular Workshop — 1 p.m. Monday, Nov. 12.
All meetings take place at Town Hall, 501 Bay Isles Road, unless otherwise noted.