For a wide variety of reasons everyone needs to have a portfolio of “go to” spots for breakfast or lunch. You know, the kind of place where the menu is large, the food is consistently good, the service is fast and friendly, the prices are reasonable --- the type of place that will never disappoint you or your guests. For me, Café Continental is one such place.
Originally located in the heart of Siesta Key Village, Café Continental Patisserie moved in early 2012 to 2117 Siesta Drive, just east of the Trail across the street from Dillards. Tucked inside a strip mall, Continental Café can be easily overlooked, but that would be unfortunate. The bright setting and simple décor are part of the charm, complemented with friendly, attentive service.
Offering baked goods, tea, coffee, salads, paninis and traditional English fare, the Continental Café’s menu is well-suited for a casual breakfast or lunch. For our meals, we chose the following:
- House Salad: Hearts of romaine and tomatoes with green peppers, cucumber and onions. All salads served with bread and homemade dressings. $6.99, with grilled chicken breast add $3.99
Fresh, crispy vegetables with a good-sized portion of grilled chicken.
- Mediterranean Tuna Melt Panini: Tuna, lemon mayo, celery, spinach and Provolone cheese. Served with homemade potato chips. $7.99
Surprisingly large portion; crispy on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside … just the right balance.
- English Fish and Chips: Choice of cod, haddock or basa in beer batter, served with steak fries and tartar sauce. $12.99
Big, thick piece of sweet cod fish with tasty batter and fresh peas; very English, very filling.
- Polish Homemade Pierogis: Sauerkraut and wild mushrooms with mustard dip. $9.99
Authentically homemade and very tasty. Can't wait to try another.
- Huevos Rancheros: Tortillas with refried beans, two eggs any style, pepper jack cheese, sliced tomatoes, Chef'’s green salsa and sour cream. $8.99
Fresh and flavorful, very authentic.
- Bubble and Squeak: Two eggs, bubble and squeak, toast or English muffin. $6.99
The eggs were made exactly how I ordered them. Bubble and squeak reminds me of a combination pancake, with its texture of grits with vegetables ... I loved it!
- Across the Pond - Full English Breakfast: Two eggs, half of a grilled tomato, banger, mushrooms and bacon, served with toast or English muffin. $8.99
Hearty, full-sized breakfast; very filling.
- Choice of scone with powdered sugar and whipped cream: $2.75
We chose both a blueberry and mixed berry scone. They arrived hot out of the oven. Sinfully good. Perhaps the best in Sarasota.
- Chicken Salad with Tomato Sandwich: All sandwiches are served with your choice of cold side and homemade potato chips, french fries or a cup of soup. $7.50
The salad was filled with chunks of chicken and the homemade chips are addictive.
Café Continental offers a selection of coffee, teas and soft drinks to accompany your meal. (They are awaiting their beer and wine license.) As previously mentioned, we found the staff to be very pleasant and attentive.
Is it French or is it British? Well, actually it is continental --- Café Continental --- and the food is good.
Cafe Continental Patisserie
2117 Siesta Drive
Sarasota, FL 34239