Editorial page designer
Do you love to design content that is fun, imaginative and full of personality? That's our goal at the Observer Media Group: To deliver unique, hyper-local content in a way that's relevant, informative and entertaining for our readers. We are constantly striving to surprise and delight readers with fresh stories and ideas, and we are seeking a designer who can use the foundation of our grid-based design to create packages that our audience can't wait to read.
A few years ago, we redesigned all of our papers with a Mondrian-inspired look that allows us to showcase stories and pictures in a grid to create movement and well-proportioned white space on every page. But don't take our word for it — check them out for yourselves here.
Now we are looking for a talented, enthusiastic full-time page designer to join our editorial department to help us execute it in our papers each week. The right candidate sees design as a journalist, not just as an artist. He or she must have a passion for telling stories in a way that marries visual elements with text to create a total package that reflects the intent and tone of the story being told. We are not a design house — we want to bust out of templates, not adhere to them.
The ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of the print and newspaper industry and be knowledgeable in Adobe Creative Suite. Must be a self-starter who can work independently, but also enjoys being part of an energetic team and collaborating with reporters. The candidate should also have strong organizational skills, be able to work quickly and accurately under daily deadline pressure and be able to juggle multiple projects at once, all while injecting creativity into his or her designs.
• Design all components of weekly newspapers, including Page A1, features, opinion and sports pages; designer is also responsible for numerous special sections a year
• Format and scan photos, including color corrections, resizing and touch-ups
• Assist editor in proofing and making corrections to pages
• Make/upload PDFs to the printer as needed; make sure daily deadlines for producing pages are met
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign and Photoshop
• Proficiency with Mac OS X operating systems
• A strong understanding of typography, photography and layout is imperative
• Experience with informational graphics and Illustrator
• Ability to meet deadlines; must work well and maintain composure under pressure
Interested? Email a resume, cover letter and 3-5 clips to Executive Editor Kat Hughes at [email protected]. Please put "Designer" in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Professional Sales Executives
Beth’s comments are typical of our multimedia sales executives. If that sounds appealing to you, we’re looking for more energetic, entrepreneurial achievers who are outgoing and money-motivated.
- If you can talk with confidence to business owners to identify their goals …
- If you are willing to prospect and meet new people to learn about their business objectives …
- If you have high self-esteem and confidence …
- If your presentation skills separate you from the pack …
- If you are not easily intimidated by business owners who may be “old school” …
- If you are articulate and looking for the highest quality in your employer and in yourself …
… This is the place for an exciting and rewarding sales and marketing career!
We offer competitive compensation with the opportunity for six-figure earnings, full benefits and a culture that encourages innovation and entrepreneurism.
With Observer Media Group, you find a company that offers rewarding work that makes a difference in the community. It’s a place where the company’s leaders value all their associates and are committed to helping them grow and succeed — professionally, personally and financially. It’s a place where everyone strives for excellence.
We have immediate openings in Sarasota, Winter Garden-Windermere, Winter Park, Palm Coast, Port Orange and Jacksonville.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Penny DiGregorio, Advertising Sales Manager,
1970 Main St., 3rd Floor
Sarasota, FL 34236
Our graphic designers not only win Addys for their advertising designs, but they also are award-winning designers of special dog couture.
The #1 trait of our graphic designers is creative flair. But they also understand the principles of effective advertising design — being able to work with our advertising sales team to conceptualize and execute print and digital ads that generate response and create memorable brands for our customers.
Our designers must have a thorough grasp and flair for style and proportion; and how type, fonts and color work with images. In addition to advertising design, our designers also create brochures, media kits, posters, letterhead; business cards; and all varieties of digital ads — animated, videos, interstitial, etc.
Ideal candidates have a positive attitude; are able to work in a collaborative, team environment; and must be able to meet deadlines and work under deadline pressure.
We offer a competitive compensation plan, including full benefits, dynamic, fast-paced work environment; and the opportunity to grow professionally.
We currently have openings for a graphic designer in the Sarasota and Winter Garden locations.
Please send cover letter, resume and five samples of recent work to:
Caleb Stanton, Creative Director