Rather than passing out food daily, families can collect lunch for the week one day a week.
Starting Thursday, Sarasota County Schools will stop distributing out free lunches daily and switch to a weekly version.
On April 9, all children 18 and under will be provided with a week's worth of food. The switch was made to help serve families more efficiently and limit family and employee exposure.
Food distribution will not be available Friday because of a pre-scheduled mini break.
Food will then be distributed every Friday, starting up again on April 17, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Children must be present in the car for a meal pick-up.
Parents can pick up their child's meal from the following locations:
- Booker High School at 3201 North Orange Ave.;
- Alta Vista Elementary School at 1050 S. Euclid Ave.;
- Fruitville Elementary School at 601 Honore Ave.;
- Garden Elementary School at 700 Center Road, Venice;
- Wilkinson Elementary School at 3400 Wilkinson Road;
- Lamarque Elementary School at 415 Lamarque Ave., North Port;
- North Port High School at 6400 W. Price Blvd., North Port; and
- Atwater Elementary School at 4701 Huntsville Ave., North Port.
The district will attempt to accommodate a child's allergens. Parents and guardians should email [email protected] with allergen considerations, school pick-up location and approximate time of pick-up.