The political committee advocating for a new city charter has listed the individuals who helped draft their proposed charter, which was revealed earlier this month.
A central element of the new charter would be the establishment of an elected mayor as the chief executive of the government; voters have rejected elected-mayor proposals three times in the past 20 years. The charter would also create a five-member City Council with representatives from five districts.
It’s Time Sarasota, the group behind the proposal, is led by chairwoman Linda Holland, the president of the Gillespie Park Neighborhood Association. According to the group’s website, the following people were members of the “Revised Charter Caucus” that eventually produced the proposed charter:
• Joe Barbetta — Sarasota Board of County Commissioners
• Michael Barfield — Vice President, ACLU of Florida*
• Ian Black — Ian Black Real Estate
• Andy Dorr — McClellan Park Neighborhood Association
• Mary Dougherty Slapp — Executive Director, Gulf Coast Builders Exchange*
• Peter Fanning — Downtown Sarasota Condominium Association
• Chris Gallagher — Downtown Sarasota Alliance*
• Diana Hamilton — Former Sarasota City Commission candidate*
• Linda Holland — Gillespie Park Neighborhood Association*
• Robert Martineau — Professor Emeritus, University of Cincinnat College of Lawi/Revised Charter Principal Drafter*
• Carolyn Mason — Sarasota Board of County Commissioners*
• John Moran — Downtown Roundtable
• David Morriss — President, Indian Beach/Sapphire Shores Neighborhood Association
• Billy Robinson — Retired City Auditor & Clerk*
• Drayton Saunders — Harbor Acres Neighborhood Association
• Jon Susce — Park East Neighborhood Association
• Jason Swift — Chairman, Gulf Coast Builders Exchange
• Peter Wish — Commissioner, Sarasota Bradenton Airport Authority
The website says that the individuals present were not representing the organizations with which they are associated. Caucus members denoted with an asterisk were members of the group’s final drafting committee.
Contact David Conway at firstname.lastname@example.org.