+ City issues downtown parking reminder
Public-parking time limits throughout the city of Sarasota are still in effect as posted, city staff has announced.
No time restrictions are visible in bagged parking-meter areas, staff points out, causing confusion. Drivers are encouraged to look for new signage over the next few weeks.
City staff also is reminding the public that the Palm Avenue garage is free to drivers. Vehicle parking is limited to 72 hours. For more information, contact the Parking Services Department at 954-7057.
+ Sister Cities to honor Bollettieri and ORT
The Sarasota Sister Cities Association has selected Nicholas James Bollettieri, founder of Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton, and ORT, the largest Jewish educational organization in the world, to be honored at the second annual “One World” Gala at 6:30 p.m. March 28, at Michael’s On East.
This award honors individuals and organizations that enhance world understanding and respect through their extraordinary work or volunteer service, according to a news release.
The “One World” Award Selection Committee received several nominations from the public, SSCA members, local ethnic groups that sponsor Sarasota’s eight sister cities and the SSCA’s numerous alliance members.
Mayor Suzanne Atwell is chairwoman of the selection committee, which includes Fulton Lewis III, renowned network radio/television news commentator and lecturer; Dr. Sarah Pappas, president of the William G. and Marie Selby Foundation; Steven Queior, president and CEO of the Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce; and James Shirley, executive director of The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County.
The Sarasota Sister Cities Association “One World” Gala is open to the public. Tickets are $125, or $250 for a patron admission. Sponsorships are also available.
To learn more or to make a reservation, contact Chairwoman Jane Thompson, owner of Thompson Resources, LLC, at email@example.com or David Harralson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It should have stated in Dr. Peter A. Wish’s My View column in the March 8 Sarasota Observer that Money magazine named Sarasota the No. 1 place in America to live.
Meetings & Agendas
• Parks, Recreation and Environmental Protection Meeting — 5:30 p.m. Thursday, March 15, City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
• Sarasota City Commission Regular Meeting — 2:30 and 6 p.m. Monday, March 19, City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
• Arlington Park Neighborhood Association Meeting — 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 20, Waldemere Fire Station, 2070 Waldemere St., Sarasota.
• Development Review Committee Meeting — 9 a.m. Wednesday, March 21, City Hall, Room 112, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
• Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Board Meeting —3 p.m. Thursday, March 22, City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota.