Calls for assistance increased 10% during the first quarter of the year compared with the same three-month period in 2012, according to statistics released by Longboat Key Fire Rescue Chief Paul Dezzi.
Of the 477 calls answered by the department, 395 were EMS-related, with 221, or 55% of those calls resulting in a patient’s transport to an area medical facility.
The average age of patients during this period was 76.3, and injuries from falls were the top reason that patients needed assistance.
Overall fire call volume decreased 16% during the same period. System malfunction calls decreased by 51%, a decline Dezzi attributes to an aggressive fire inspection program. Despite the decrease in fire responses, the department experienced an increase in actual fires during the first quarter of more than 500%, with an increase of 11 fire calls compared with the first quarter of 2012.
EMS calls made up 83% of calls, while fire calls accounted for the remaining 17%.
Contact Robin Hartill at email@example.com.