Susan Chapman is well known for her civic duty. Her public service includes being president of the Hudson Bayou Neighborhood Association, former president of the CCNA and former chairwoman of the Police Advisory Panel. But there are several things that Sarasotans don’t know about her.
1. GREAT COOK: Chapman is famous for her gingerbread. “I end up making more every year, because people beg me for it,” she says.
2. BIG DOG-LOVER: She can often be found with her Maltese by her side.
3. BEING NEIGHBORLY: Asked her favorite part of Sarasota, Chapman replies, “I like my neighbors.”
4. OUTLAW PAST: Chapman attended high school in Liberty, Mo., which is where the James Gang is believed to have committed the first daylight bank robbery in peacetime. She even met Frank James’ daughter-in-law.
5. ROAD WARRIOR: “Nearly every night I ride my bike to the end of Baypoint Drive and watch the sunset,” she says.