You know David Miller as the owner of Cannons Marina, Longboat Key’s oldest family-owned business, and as the chairman of the board of the Longboat Key, Lido Key, St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce. But here are five things you didn’t know about Miller:
1. Dog days: His first dog was a mutt named Buffy. But she isn’t the only dog who has been a part of the Miller family. His golden retriever, Sirius, is 14-and-a-half years old.
2. His first job was learning to count shrimp out of a bucket as a child at Cannons Marina.
3. Miller’s first boat show was in 1972 at the Robarts Arena in Sarasota.
4. Cannons Marina has printed tide charts for decades but stopped distributing them for a month, which Miller found was a mistake, when Cannons Marina was inundated with complaints.
5. The Longboat Key, Lido Key, St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce is a 53-year-old organization, but Miller is a 54-year member, because Cannons Marina joined the group one year before it officially incorporated.
Contact Robin Hartill at email@example.com.