Sarasota should have a new police chief by the middle of next week.
City Manager Tom Barwin expects to name the city’s new police chief sometime next week, said Jan Thornburg, Sarasota’s public information officer.
Into the beginning of next week, the city will be conducting background checks and further vetting the five finalists for the position, Thornburg said.
Last week the candidates came to Sarasota where they went through three rounds of interviews and meet with residents at a public meet-and-greet.
The candidates were interviewed by four of five city commissioners, city department heads and a panel. The short list for the police chief position includes:
• Gregory Anderson, Oak Forest, Ill., police chief
• Bernadette DiPino, Ocean City, Md., police chief
• Salvatore Ruggiero, Tampa police major (retired)
• Mark Teunis, Clearwater Support Services commander
• Tonya Vincent, Richmond, Va., deputy police chief