Skip to main content
News
A Longboat Key firefighter paramedic worked to extinguish a brush fire Thursday caused by a blown transformer. Photo courtesy of Longboat Key Fire Rescue.
Longboat Key Friday, Mar. 4, 2011 4 years ago

Blown transformer sparks fire

Share
by: Kurt Schultheis Managing Editor

A power outage on the north end of Longboat Key Thursday morning was caused by a blown transformer, which ignited some vegetation near Longboat Pass Bridge.

The fire caused a 45-minute shutdown of Gulf of Mexico Drive and the loss of power to about 15,000 residents for more than two hours.

Two Longboat Key Fire Rescue crews responded to the scene, and Longboat Key Police shut down traffic while the fire was distinguished and the road was cleared of debris.

Contact Kurt Schultheis at kschultheis@yourobserver.com.

Related Stories