The $250,000 was divided between 20 regional cultural organizations, nine high school students and 13 college students.
The Exchange awarded a quarter of $1 million in grants and scholarships May 6.
Scholarship recipients, arts organization leaders and other key players in the local art scene gathered at The Exchange store in Burns Court to mingle, snack and sip before the ceremony began.
“It truly does take a village,” The Exchange Executive Director and CEO Karen Koblenz told the crowd. “And we’re so proud to be a part of it.”
Secretary Anne Johnson and President Suzanne Raymond took to the podium next to announce that the organization plans to give $250,000 a year to local artists and organizations for the next three years until the loan taken out for renovations is covered. After that, the goal is to double the amount of money donated.
Finally, Johnson and Raymond announced the scholarship and grant winners, the former of which were chosen based on grades, artistic goals, accomplishments and letters of recommendation and the latter chosen based on financial stability, promotion of diversity and civic engagement and educational opportunities offered.
Grant recipients for the 2019-2020 fiscal year:
- Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County: “Inspire Sarasota” program
- Art Center Sarasota: “Slice of Art” program
- Asolo Repertory Theatre.: 2019-2020 season
- Choral Artists of Sarasota: 2019 July 4th “Patriotic Tribute” concert
- Florida Studio Theatre: 2019-2020 winter and summer cabaret series
- FSU/Asolo Conservatory for Actor Training: 2019 Dog Days Theatre series
- Jazz Club of Sarasota: 40th anniversary season
- JoMo Productions, Inc.: “Lil and Louis”
- Key Chorale: “Voices of Light: Joan of Arc”
- La Musica: Educational outreach programs
- Manatee Concert Band: 2019-2020 season
- Perlman Music Program: Student outreach programs
- The Players Centre for Performing Arts: 2019-2020 season
- Sarasota Cuban Ballet School: “On Stage” program
- Sarasota Opera: Sarasota Youth Opera’s performance of “Brundibar”
- Sarasota Orchestra: Young Person's Concerts program
- Van Wezel Foundation: Exchange Family Arts Access
- Venice Chorale: 2019-2020 season
- Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe: 2019-2020 mainstage season
Scholarship recipients for the 2019-2020 fiscal year:
High school: Sydney Catalfino, Andrea Guaita, Charlotte Corporan, Kiara Harris, Isabelle Yau Martin, Taylor Reister, Sydney Anne Robinson, Jillian Steffens and Luca Stine.
College: Margaux Albiez, Summer Altier, Victoria Byrd, Emily Cain, Melanie Gasparoni, Bailey Jordan, Beatrice Kelly, Ariana Koopman, Laura McKenna, Rachel Rice, Haley Rosenthal, Madison Spahn and Olivia Valek.