Hey, it's Valentine's Day. Not sure if you heard. Whether you're looking to celebrate or escape, we've put together our favorite events taking place over the weekend:
- Moonlight Movies: Dirty Dancing — takes place at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14 at Payne Park. Looking for a last-minute, cheap (re: free) date? We've got your back. Take your significant other to this Sarasota Film Festival Moonlight Movies series and pretend like you planned it. And don't even think about putting baby in a corner.
- Lost Lover Show — takes place at 10 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14, at Shamrock Pub. Get down to the sounds of Good Graeff and Say Monster at the Shamrock, which as we explored this week, has a stellar track record for matchmaking. Godspeed, hopeful romantics.
- Selectric, Hail Dale and Emily Owen — takes place at 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14, at Growler's Pub. Cut the sleeves off whatever shirt you were planning to wear to this show, and prepare to be rocked. And, grow a mustache if you can. Show features Selectric, a new rock outfit from St. Pete, southern rockers, Hail Dale and Emily Owen.
- Coach Dan Celebration of life — takes place at 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15, at Payne Skate Park. Come celebrate the life of local teacher, coach and supporter of the local skateboarding community, Dan Giguere, who died in a car accident last year. Enjoy food, friends and skateboarding.
- Umbrella Cult, The Wallies and Moonshutters — takes place at 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15, at Growler's Pub. Catch psychedelic pop rockers, Umbrella Cult at potentially their last Sarasota show before three of its members move. The Wallies will lay down their brand of pop-sensible surf/garage rock and New College's shoegaze band, Moonshutters will also join the bill.
Have an event you would like featured in our best bets? Email me at [email protected]
featured photo by Joe Sedik