+ Jury scam reported
Sarasota County residents are being urged not to fall for a new scam attempting to lure people into thinking they have been summoned for jury duty.
A caller, who claims to be a jury coordinator, asks for the person’s Social Security number and date of birth to verify why the person has not been notified of jury selection through the mail. The information, the scammer says, also is needed to cancel an arrest warrant for the person’s failure to appear for jury duty.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is urging people to hang up on such a caller and not to give out any personal information.
The scam has been reported so far in 11 states.
+ Old police station demolition set for Feb. 28
Demolition of the former Sarasota Police Station, at 2050 Ringling Blvd. is expected to begin Feb. 28.
The building will be torn down over the course of 60 days through use of a wrecking ball, according to city staff.
A slight increase in truck traffic and noise in the area should be expected, with work occurring from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The contractor will spray the demolition area with water, to help keep dust to a minimum.
Built in the 1950s, the Sarasota Police Station served police officers, administrative staff and the public until 2010, when the current Sarasota Police Department Headquarters opened adjacent to it.
For more information, contact Project Manager Tony Russo at 365-2200, Ext. 6367.
+ Detert reappointed to education board
Gov. Rick Scott has reappointed state Sen. Nancy C. Detert of Venice to the Southern Regional Education Board.
SREB is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that works with 16 member states to improve public education from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, as well as higher education.
SREB is governed by a board that includes the governor and four gubernatorial appointees from each member state, including at least one state legislator and one educator.
A Feb. 19 article titled, “BID board proposes 10-year extension,” should have said that Marty Rappaport suggested that two Business Improvement District board members sharing ownership of one or more properties within the district should not serve on the BID board.
Meetings & agendas
• Alta Vista Neighborhood Association Meeting — 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23, Concordia Lutheran Church, 2185 Wood St., Sarasota.
• Sarasota City Commission/Hospital Board Special Meeting — 4 p.m. Monday, Feb. 27, Plaza Auditorium, Second Floor, 1921 Waldemere St., Sarasota.
• Sarasota City Commission Budget Workshop — 5 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 28, City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
• Sarasota City Commission Regular Meeting — 2:30 and 6 p.m. Monday, March 5, City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
• St. Armands Neighborhood Association Meeting — 4:30 p.m. Monday, March 5, St. Armands Fire Station, 47 N. Adams, Sarasota.