+ Hines joins commission race
Charles Hines will run for the open District 5 seat on the Sarasota County Commission. The seat is now available after the Florida Supreme Court ruled term limits constitutional, thus halting Commissioner Jon Thaxton’s re-election run.
Hines, a Nokomis attorney, officially announced his candidacy Friday, May 18, eight days after the ruling. Job creation and balancing the county budget are some of his top priorities, according to a news release.
Hines joins William Brian Slider and former North Port City Commissioner Vanessa Carusone, both Republicans, in the race for Thaxton’s seat.
“I believe my life, education, volunteerism and experience have prepared me for this role,” Hines said in a written statement.
+ Commission extends sunset for Village permits
The Sarasota Board of County Commissioners approved an amendment to extend the sunset period for temporary-use permits for Siesta Key Village bars and restaurants from June 8 this year to July 14, 2014.
County staff worked with representatives from the Siesta Key Association, the Siesta Key Village Association and the Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce to adopt an ordinance allowing outside special events for specific dates and within time guidelines. No temporary-use permits have been issued by press time.
Meetings & Agendas
• Gulf Gate Library public meeting — 5 p.m. Thursday, May 24, St. Andrew United Church of Christ, 6908 Beneva Road, Sarasota
• Siesta Key Village Association — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 5, Daiquiri Deck Raw Bar, 5250 Ocean Blvd., Siesta Key
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, June 5, R.L. Anderson Administration Building, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
• Siesta Key Association — 4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 7, St. Boniface Episcopal, Room F, 5615 Midnight Pass Road., Siesta Key
• Tourist Development Council — 4 p.m. Thursday, June 7, R.L. Anderson Administration Building, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice