+ SKVA meeting wrap-up
• At the Siesta Key Village Association’s meeting Tuesday, board member Michael Shay reported on plans to place recycling containers at 12 locations along Ocean Boulevard.
• SKVA is working with the Siesta Key Association, SKVA President Cheryl Gaddie said, to discuss amending the ban on outdoor displays in place under the Siesta Key Overlay District rules. “First, we need to enforce what we have,” Gaddie said. “But we need to analyze what the needs are.”
• Kevin Cooper, executive director of the Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce, announced that the dates for the 2013 Siesta Key Crystal Classic are set for Nov. 15 to Nov. 18.
+ Sarasota City Commission meeting wrap-up
• City staff reported Tuesday that representatives for Gulfcoast Wonder and Imagination Zone (GWIZ) have informed the city that they will be vacating their building. On Aug. 22, City Manager Tom Barwin sent a letter to GWIZ staff indicating they were in default of their lease, and that the city could terminate the lease after 30 days if improvements were not made.
• The Sarasota Police Department recommends ending a special sound-enforcement detail that was in place for seven weeks and to maintain the current maximum decibel level for the city’s sound ordinance.
Meetings & Agendas
• Siesta Key Association monthly board meeting — 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 5, St. Boniface Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key.
• City Commission special meeting — 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 5, Commission Chambers, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
• Sarasota County Commission special FY2014 budget meeting — 11 a.m. Friday, Sept. 6, Third Floor Think Tank, Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd.
• Sarasota County Commission budget public hearing — 5:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 9, Commission Chambers, Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd.
• Sarasota County Commission meeting — 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 10, Robert L. Anderson Administration Center, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice.