With origins dating back to the early 1600s, the institution of the local café has served an integral role in communities worldwide. Always used as a meeting or gathering place, the pulse of the café evolved from news and information, to political discussion and dissent, to artistic collaboration and entertainment---and with the ubiquity of Wi-Fi returned back to communication and information. Returning to classical café roots, the Burns Court Café serves as host to a monthly book club, a cinema discussion group and a conversational French group. All details for these events can be seen in our Events Calendar, the Burns Court Café Facebook page or at the café. With its quaint appearance and casual style, the Burns Court Café is a welcomed addition to the tightly-knit, historic Burns Square community. A true Parisian café serving pastries, sandwiches, salads, smoothies, quiche, soft drinks, coffee, beer and wine, it perfectly fills a culinary void in the neighborhood. We have visited the café on a number of occasions and tasted the following:
- Salad: Avocado, artichoke, olives, almonds, cranberries and mixed greens. $7.95 Nice presentation: fresh greens topped by an artichoke “flower” and served with an individual basket of bread.
- Quiche of the Day: Sweet pepper with feta cheese. $5.50, with side salad $7.95 A very savory crust lightly filled and flavorful; very satisfying.
- Tuna Salad: Tuna, onions, tomato, olives, mixed greens. $7.95 Fresh salad; the actual tuna salad had mayo and celery. The olives added texture and a slightly briny flavor.
- Caprese Salad: Mozzarella, tomato, sun-dried tomato, basil, pesto, kalamata olives, a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic. $7.95 Fresh and flavorful, nicely dressed with a touch of sweetness from the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Salami Pressed Sandwich: Salami, Fontina cheese, roasted red peppers and peppercorn mustard pressed on a ciabatta loaf. With small salad $7.95 A reasonable serving size, not too big and not too small, very flavorful, nicely toasted.
- Croque Monsieur: Ham and Gruyère cheese, croissant. Hot pressed sandwich with a side of green salad. $7.95 Rich, buttery, savory, simply delicious.
- Cherry Tart: $2.50 Moist, slightly sweet, delicate taste and flavor.
- Apple Tart: $2.50 Sweet crust, light filling, crunchy apples, very satisfying.
The Burns Court Café offers an adequate selection of soft drinks, beer, and wine to accompany your meal. Since you place your order upon entering and then take a seat, the service is fast and efficient. We found the staff to be warm, welcoming and extremely friendly. The Burns Court Café: a new spot which feels like it has always been part of historic Burns Square.