Everyone loves a party, especially one done in grand style. Such was the case for the 2012 Forks and Corks Grand Tasting held on Sunday, Jan. 29. The 5th Annual Forks & Corks Food & Wine Festival was hosted by the Sarasota-Manatee Originals and made possible through event sponsors, donors and business partners. Sarasota’s culinary creativity, range and diversity were all showcased in a series of winemaker dinners, interactive seminars and classes and with the culminating public event, the Grand Tasting.
The Sunday afternoon was “picture perfect” for an outdoor event: bright and sunny, not a cloud in the sky with temps in the 70s. The magnificent courtyard of the John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art served as center stage for a palate-pleasing presentation. The performers, approximately 50 local chefs and restaurateurs, combined their culinary talents with 80 international winemakers to present one of the finest flavorful food festivals in Sarasota.
The Grand Tasting event was scheduled from 12-4 pm. We arrived fashionably late (12:20pm), only to find the crowd already sizeable. With 1000-plus people attending and this event being a quick sell-out, we anticipated some difficulty with logistics. This was not the case at all! Registration was easy, the program well-organized, signage was good and the flow of people easily managed. All we needed was a plan to navigate more than 85 tables offering food, beer and wine. Our initial plan was amazingly simple in concept: start in numeric order, do a quick survey of the various foods and wines being offered (noting the ones we wanted to explore further) and then circle back to those tables we highlighted. We quickly realized our levels of interest far exceeded our capacity to taste and consume. So much for best-laid plans! Here are some of the highlights from our gastronomic trek.Local Food:
- Lamb Osso Bucco from Ophelia’s on the Bay
- Grilled Flank Steak on Artisan Roll from Michael’s on East
- Bruchetta Pomodoro and Agnolotti from Salute!
- Spicy Korean Pork Belly Happy Buns from The Polo Grill & Bar
- Kobe Beef Sliders from Square 1 Burgers & Bar
- Classic Caesar Salad from Euphemia Haye
- Taylor Bay Scallop Crudo from Derek’s Culinary Casual
- White Bean Cassoulet from Bijou Café
Food photos courtesy of Larry Hoffman.
Wines from around the world:
- Bell Pinot Gris from Bell Wine Cellars
- Whispering Angel Rosé from Chateau D’Esclans
- Sondraia Bolgheri DOC from Poggio al Tesoro
- Noble Riesling from Helfrich
- Carneros Chardonnay from Merryvale Winery
- Champagne Rosé from Nicholas Feuillatte
- Mint Haven Cabernet from Morgenhof Estate
- Chenin Blanc from Post House
The afternoon was truly delightful, combining some of Sarasota’s finest assets: food, wine, people and weather in one amazing place. Plus, on your way out all of the wines tasted were offered for purchase in a special retail tent at a discounted price. Now how is that for an added bonus? For those who like to plan ahead, next year’s Forks & Corks is scheduled for Jan. 25-28, 2013. Tickets go on sale Nov. 12, 2012.
Congratulations to all the people who made the 2012 Forks & Corks such a great success. Sarasota was proudly represented!