+ Commissioners ask for beach project report
The Sarasota County Commission directed County Administrator Randall Reid Sept. 26, to provide a timetable for the Siesta Key beach-improvement project, as well as a report on design details and projected costs.
The county may consider issuing debt to finance the improvements or cutting some of the estimated costs. Commissioner Joe Barbetta, who has supported the first option, said the costs would fall after the project went out to bid.
Reid did not recommend either option and said staff would present more specific options for getting the beach project started, but he did say he considered the plan to be a long-term feature that should not be rushed.
+ Volunteers needed for Light up the Village
The Light Up the Village committee, which is planning the parade and holiday celebration, still needs sponsors and volunteers to help with the November event.
The annual celebration, which includes a parade, takes place from 6 to 9 p.m. Nov. 24. The committee still has a 66-point list for its five subcommittees to complete, which includes getting a street closure permit and buying 600 tea lights.
According to the most recent Siesta Key Village Association monthly newsletter, sponsorships are available from $25 up to $500 for yuletide-themed props such as snowflakes and a Christmas tree.
The Light Up the Village committee, which has members from the Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce, SKVA and the Siesta Key Association, will hold its second official meeting Oct. 4.
Meetings & Agendas
• Light up the Village committee meeting — 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4, Cheryl Gaddie Designs, 5032 Calle Minorga, Siesta Key
• Siesta Key Association meeting — 4 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key
• Sarasota County Commission meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 5, R.L. Anderson Building, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
• Sarasota County Commission meeting — 9 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 6, Administration Building, commission chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Integrated Pest Management Advisory Board meeting — 3:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8, 5531 Pinkney Ave., Sarasota
Currently 0 Responses
24 Food Fight
6:00 am - 11:00 pm
26 Lakewood Ranch Republican Club Luncheon
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
27 KidsCreate: Outdoor Pinting for Children
9:00 am - 11:00 am
27 Health & Wellness Expo
10:00 am - 1:00 pm