+ Sarasota offices to close for Labor Day
City of Sarasota administration offices will be closed Monday, Sept. 5, in observance of Labor Day.
Solid waste, yard waste and recycling collection will be handled as they would on an ordinary Monday, city officials said.
+ Sarasota County to hold focus groups
Sarasota County will hold five focus group sessions to receive public comments on the characteristics and qualities that are important in a new county administrator. The meetings also will explore opportunities for the county’s future.
Representatives from The Mercer Group of Atlanta, which is conducting the administrator search for the Sarasota County Commission, will facilitate the sessions.
Each of the meetings will be held in a Sarasota County Commission district:
• Sept. 8 — 10:30 a.m., Thursday, Selby Library, 1331 First St., Sarasota; 2 p.m., in the Keith Mansion, Phillippi Estate Park, 5500 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota; 6 p.m., Venice Community Center, 326 S. Nokomis Ave., Venice.
• Friday, Sept. 9 — 10:30 a.m., North Port Library, 13800 S. Tamiami Trail, North Port; 2:30 p.m., North Sarasota Library, 2801 Newtown Blvd., Sarasota.
For additional information, contact the Sarasota County Call Center, 861-5000.
+ Sarasota alliance seeks grant panelists
The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County is accepting applications for individuals interested in serving on the panel for Sarasota County’s Tourist Development Cultural/Arts grants program.
About $1.2 million is distributed annually through the program to Sarasota County arts and cultural organizations that meet the criteria for artistic excellence and tourism appeal. The grants are administered by the Arts and Cultural Alliance.
Grant panelists should have a broad range of expertise in the artistic and management areas of the arts, such as visual and performing arts, arts and cultural administration, business, finance, marketing or tourism.
The panel especially is in need of performing and visual artists as well as representatives from South County.
Typically, an overview session is held in October to assign projects, with an in-depth orientation in March and applicant interviews in April and May. Panelists also must be able to attend a variety of arts and cultural events throughout the year.
Applications are available online at www.SarasotaArts.org. For more information, contact Brittany Norwood at 365-5118 or by email bnorwood@SarasotaArts.org.
The deadline for applications is September 16, 2011.
Meetings & agendas
• Siesta Key Association — 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 1, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Room F, Siesta Key
• Siesta Key Village Association — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 6, Daiquiri Deck Raw Bar, 5250 Ocean Blvd., Siesta Key
• County Commission Budget Workshop — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 6, County Administration Building, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Third Floor Think Tank, Sarasota
• Sustainable Sarasota Community Partnership — 2 to 4 p.m. Sept. 6, County Administration Building, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Second Floor A/B Conference Room, Sarasota
• City Commission Regular Meeting — 2:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sept. 6, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota
Currently 0 Responses
2 Healthy Skin Care and Wellness with Dr. Brenda Yanofsky
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
2 Center For Sight at University Park Grand Opening & Trunk Show
3:00 pm - 7:00 pm
3 Bowl Painting Party
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
4 Ron Gordon's Humane Society Golf Tournament