+ Off-duty deputy rescues teens
Sgt. Steve Leavitt was off duty and with his family Sunday, April 29, visiting Siesta Key Beach, where he noticed two teenagers struggling in the surf. A 15-year-old girl was screaming, while a 14-year-old boy nearby was pulled beneath the surface of the water.
The deputy swam out to the girl and led her into to shallow waters before returning for the other teen. He swam roughly 75 yards to rescue the struggling boy and bring him to shore, according to a news release from the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office. Neither teen needed medical treatment.
+ Village Association torn on ad copy
The Siesta Key Village Association wants to find a balance between Village merchants reliant on morning traffic and bars dependent on nightlife in radio advertisements planned for the summer.
The organization plans to spend approximately $20,000 of its $63,200 budget on radio spots and a billboard intended to counter major repairs planned for the North Bridge. Slogans suggested at the May 1 meeting include variations of: “Come for the sunset, stay for the nightlife.” SKVA President Russell Matthes said the ads need to include a line about shopping and breakfast: focused merchants want a fair representation, as well.
+ Daiquiri Deck eyes new Venice location
Daiquiri Deck plans to lease 6,500 square feet in downtown Venice. This will be the fourth location for the establishment, according to co-owners Russell Matthes and Troy Syprett. The new spot on the corner of West Venice Avenue and Nassau Street is the furthest south “the Deck” has reached. The other restaurants are located in Siesta Key Village and on St. Armands Circle and Madeira Beach. “Can you guess what the No. 1 issue is?” Syprett asked members of the Siesta Key Village Association about the expansion. “It’s parking.”
Meetings & Agendas
• Siesta Key Association — 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 3, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, Room F, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key.
• Planning Commission Public Hearing — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, May 3, Administration Building, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota.
• Sarasota County Commission Budget Workshop — 9:00 a.m. Monday, May 7, Administration Center, Third Floor Think Tank Room, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota.
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, May 8, R.L. Anderson Administration Building, 4000 South Tamiami Trail, Venice.
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9:00 a.m. Wednesday, May 9, Administration Center, First Floor Chamber, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota.
Currently 0 Responses
14 Ovation Teen Intensive Summer Camp
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
17 Grand Opening of Goodwill Manasota's Newest Store in Manatee
18 Discover DaVinci & Michelangelo "Side by Side"
10:00 am - 12:00 pm