The Siesta Key Association unanimously passed a measure Thursday to take an independent look at a proposed dredging project on Big Pass.
The association earmarked $2,000 to hire a coastal engineer to review a study by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers due Dec. 7.
“It’s a very tricky business,” said Peter van Roekens of the association’s board of directors. “When they did a similar dredge off New Pass, it damaged the channel.”
The plan to dredge Big Pass has a $17.5 million price tag, and the city will be on the hook for $3.8 million. Big Pass has never been dredged.
County Commissioner Nora Patterson, who attended the association’s Thursday night meeting, said she was not in support of the project in its current form.
The Army Corps of Engineers and the City of Sarasota will present their plan on Dec. 5, with a public meeting scheduled Dec. 7 at the Sarasota Yacht Club.
Other topics discussed during Thursday’s association meeting include:
• Noise complaints from the Turtle Beach campground.
• Trash concerns related to the Independence Day festivities.
• A proposed measure to allow low-speed vehicles on Siesta Key. There will be a meeting at the Siesta Key Chapel 5 to 7 p.m. Aug. 20, to discuss the measure. Siesta Key residents are encouraged to attend.
• A nationwide propane tank recall.
• Sheriff Deputy Jason Mruczek responded to concerns about a trend in thefts at Siesta Key Beach. He advised residents to not take valuables such as cellphones or wallets to the beach.
• Siesta Key junior lifeguard coordinator Richard Hinkson thanked the association for its support of the program.
The next Siesta Key Association is scheduled for 4:30 p.m., Sept. 5, at St. Boniface Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key.
Residents can call 364-4880 for more information.
Contact Nolan Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 0 Responses
12 LWRBA March Membership Luncheon
11:30 am - 1:00 pm
12 March Membership Luncheon
15 Irish Celtic 5K, Lakewood Ranch
8:00 am - 10:00 am
15 Palma Sola Botanical Park plants, antiques and crafts sale
8:00 am - 3:00 pm
22 5th Annual Ponies for Pups
22 Lakewood Ranch Community Fund 'Havana Nights' Gala
23 The Bridal EXPO
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
26 LWRBA March Executive Briefing
7:30 am - 9:00 am