Sarasota residents and visitors are being reminded by Sarasota County National Resources officials that turtle nesting season begins Thursday, May 1.
Sarasota County beaches have the highest density of loggerhead nests on Florida’s West Coast.
Due to low survival rate, officials are asking residents to help protect the 2-inch hatchlings and their habitat along the coastline by taking the following precautions:
• Minimize beachfront lighting by turning off or redirecting lights away from the beach.
• Use amber or red LEDs bulbs instead of incandescent and fluorescent bulbs.
• Close blinds and draperies in beachfront rooms after dark.
• Remove furniture and recreational items from the beach at night.
• Dispose trash and fishing gear properly.
• Knock down sand sculptures and fill in holes before leaving the beach.
To learn more about how you can help protect the turtles click on the link below:
For more information please call 861-5000.
To contact Harriet Sokmensuer, please email email@example.com
Currently 0 Responses
31 Homes for our Troops Golf Tournament
31 7th Annual Military Ball
6 Menchie's - FREE Froyo National Frozen Yogurt Day
4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
7 Manatee Audubon - OPEN HOUSE at Felts Audubon Preserve
8:00 am - 11:00 am