+ History always repeats itself
RE: Caragiulo and the Romans
This coincides with what happened to the Romans.
Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years ago: “A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
“A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.
“From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.
“The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years.
“During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:
1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
2. From spirtual faith to great courage;
3. From courage to liberty;
4. From liberty to abundance;
5. From abundance to complacency;
6. From complacency to apathy;
7. From apathy to dependence;
8. From dependence back into bondage.”
This sure sounds like the path this country is taking.
Currently 4 Responses
- Saturday, November 30, 2013
Mr Matt Walsh, Editor
A property with a “Zen” future named “Sansara”? Meaning “continuous flow”?
Zen is Japanese, but there is no Japanese word “sansara”. However, there is a word in the Indian language that is spelled “samsara” in Roman letters, which does mean continuous flow. But it is not a favorable concept. It is the continuous flow from birth, life, death, rebirth, continuing endlessly.
Zen is a form of Buddhism. The goal of Buddhism is to end this cycle of rebirths, to end the continuous flow. Buddhism began in India, and crossed to China where it came in contact with Taoism. Zen is a mixture of Buddhism and Taoism, and the word Zen is a Japanese word for this philosophy, or religion, when it was brought to Japan.
The concepts of Zen are not expressed in large cement buildings.
Look instead at small tea houses constructed with natural materials for a Zen building.
I am writing this for those unfamiliar with Zen, to clarify these points.
5959 Palm Lane
Bradenton, FL 34207
- The city of Sarasota has every right to place police on motorcycles dressed like robocop behind tree's by the railroad track on Beneva Road between Bahia Vista and Fruitville Rd set up to right speeding tickets. The city has generally two speeds 30 and 45 unless you are by a school .
The speed limit changes and I did not see a sign reducing the speed . Two hours after receiving the ticket I went to the courthouse to pay the the fine . I was given a speeding ticket actual speed 39 in a 30 mile an hour zone . The ticket was $131.00 and the driving school election was an additional $7.00 and $30.00 for the school which I took the course and the 3 points is off my license .
I asked the policemen I never got a written ticket in my life and the day after Veterans Day with a DAV license plate a warning and opportunity for him to show me where the sign change of speed was on the street was appropriate . The Flashing speed sign is on Beneva Rd which Im always under .
Whether the speed limit is 30 or 45 in town and randomly change isn't the issue .I went to court and there was 50-75 people on 11-12-13 all discussing that location and there ticket .
I have supported the local police through funding and support and I live downtown by five points park . There is multiple opportunities the police can do in the performance of there duty beyond parking a motor cycle behind a tree with a laser gun .
I am requesting every resident who lives in Sarasota to simply drive no faster then 25 miles an hour all season long . Be safe and protect your car insurance from increasing because of the speed limit posting are sparse and the city seemed to have spent well on motorcycles,lasers, and police officers to right tickets for going nine miles over the limit without even a warning to local residents who live here . Murders and people roaming in the middle of the street asking for money loitering by the 100's doesn't seem to bother them . Livid in Sarasota now going 25 miles an hour everywhere in Sarasota and hope all locals do the same.
- Sadly, Beverly, you are right. We now have almost 49% on some type of government subsidy. Even without social security, the percentage is huge. When I lost a job years ago I refused to even sign up for unemployment. It was considered a degrading thing to depend on anyone else to pay my way, even if I had paid some into it. Even then I knew I had not paid nearly enough in to take money out. Folks think social security is not depending on the government because they paid into it. However, with the long lives we live today, we pay nowhere near enough to cover what most of us will take out over the years. Had our leaders really done what they were supposed to do and put it in a place to draw interest, it might have been a different story. Government, however, has a primary directive...if money comes in, spend a minimum of twice what you receive into the coffers. Greed is rampant on all fronts from the man or woman who can work but won't to the man or woman who promises grand things to the people knowing he/she cannot keep those promises and has no intention of trying. When we have more taking out than putting in, this country will succumb to the dictatorship of the president in charge at the time. That's how Hitler came into power. Germany was in the same shape. He promised food, health, housing, jobs and provided the minimal of each. They hailed him as great and he made the Germany people prisoners of Nazism. We are one step from having Hitler in charge.
- Excellent letter.
16 Key West Sunset Pool Party
16 Tenebrae Service
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
17 American Business Women's Association Sunset Chapter monthly meeting
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
18 Goodwill Hosts Electric Vehicle Revolution Luncheon
11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Piero Rivolta and his wife, Rachele, opened their home to the Pines of Sarasota March 26.
Team Tony seeks volunteers
Team Tony Cancer Foundation of Sarasota/Manatee counties is looking for cancer survivors to volunteer at Florida Cancer Specialists oncology units.
Drum kits coming to downtown
Noting the success of Sarasota Keys, an interactive art project that placed six public pianos around downtown, the Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County has launched a parallel initiative — with drum sets.