On Friday, organizers of the Sarasota Chalk Festival will open a new store in Burns Square designed to help fund the group’s operations.
Chalk Line, located at 529 S. Pineapple Ave., will sell works by artists that participate in the annual chalk festival, as well as merchandise associated with the event. Proceeds from the sales will benefit Avenida de Colores, the nonprofit organization that funds the festival, according to a press release.
In a November interview with the Sarasota Observer, Chalk Festival founder Denise Kowal said the event lost out on revenue this year after rain affected attendance totals. In addition to the Sarasota Chalk Festival, the group organizes a chalk festival in Anna Maria Island, and participates in outreach programs throughout the year.
“We're always doing events and doing things for people,” Kowal said. “We're just looking for ways to help fund that.”
Chalk Line will be open from 5-9 p.m. Friday, during the Burns Square Christmas walk. Kowal said plans are currently to operate the store, which is staffed by volunteers, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. year-round.
“We're going to see how it goes for season,” Kowal said. “We hope it's going to be successful, and we hope we can keep it open.”
Contact David Conway at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 6 Responses
- oh my someone needs a hug
- Just Me -- of course the idea is horrible -- the suggestion is made by the troll and cyber-bully-stalker who targets Denise Kowal. Ignoring trolls is the general advice given on the Internet because their insecurities compel trolls to seek responses as the only real meaning in a troll's life... now if they were talented, they would be out there doing creative things themselves, don't ya think? Falling short of that, targeting a victim suffices at first. Obsession and compulsion soon expand to others and things the troll associates with the victim. It is all very Freudian. Get to know who not to answer. Clues will be provided when needed.
- Seething jealousy and strange lusts motivate our recently debuting sock puppet O C Crandall (careful of the spelling, caps and spacing differ) -- imagine what torments someone who could create an international festival from scratch in a few years must provoke in our sad new puppet? I propose a fund for psychoanalysis to which friends donate -- anyone out there without stab wounds in their back who would contribute?
- I love the Chalkfest and the themes the past two years have been wonderful. A creationist theme would be horrible!! Can't imagine a more divisive and alienating theme!
- Might I suggest a Creationists theme for 2014 as most appropriate for the Chalk Festival mission of bringing "Art for the Masses" to Sarasota? If anyone is right for that job its Ms. Kowal. Just imagine Adam & Eve carved in Styrofoam and in the Garden of Eden in 3D street painting how lovely that would be.
- Wonderful! Founded in 2009 by Denise Kowal and in only six seasons she has led the chalk festival into becoming an internationally recognized attraction with the offshoots of Going Vertical, the Anna Maria Chalk Festival, and now, the Chalk Line.
22 K-9 Anxiety & Behavior Seminar
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
23 Senegalese Film and Discussion
23 Savvy Social Security Planning
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
24 Sarasota Pumpkin Festival
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
School of rock
Fans cheered on their favorite bands Saturday at Rock for a Cause.
A budding partnership
Local Kiwanis clubs joined forces to help break ground on a butterfly garden and new information center for Community Haven for Adults and Children with Disabilities.
Walk this way
With less than a month until Election Day, Rhana Bazzini, left, has decided she’s had enough with current campaign financing.