The city of Sarasota will be making some parking changes on St. Armands Circle, with some of the changes coming before Thanksgiving Day.
City Commissioners unanimously voted Monday to make four major changes on the Circle that would ease stricter parking restrictions that merchants said had driven away customers.
The changes mark a return to a method of parking enforcement on the Circle that was in place before an increase in enforcement in March.
In addition to easing current parking enforcement, an extra 200 unrestricted on-street parking spaces will be added on the Circle, primarily for the use of employees and residents.
Staff had recommended that commissioners approve three of the four changes—suggesting that a 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday enforcement period remain. But commissioners ultimately voted to go ahead with all four changes.
The changes include:
• Eliminating parking enforcement after 6 p.m., from Monday to Friday.
• Eliminating parking enforcement on Saturdays.
• Removing “box” parking lines around the Circle.
• Adding 200 extra parking spaces on the Circle.
City workers already began removing the “box” parking lines Sunday evening, and city Parking Manager Mark Lyons expected that project to be completed by Thanksgiving Day.
City commissioners also:
• Recognized the city’s finance department for being a recipient of a Government Finance Officers Association’s Certificate of Achievement award for Excellence in Financial Reporting.
• Authorized the execution of the two purchase and sale agreements, at 908 Gillespie Avenue and 1755 Mound Street.
• Discussed a resolution authorizing surety bond and the amounts for the city manager, city clerk, and finance director.
Currently 1 Response
- E-mail is down again.
Don't have time to sit on the phone for two hours.
My settings haven't changed. Trust me, they haven't.
Fix it, PLEASE.
2 French apÃ©ro evening
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
2 'Safe Sex Halloween Bash: Midnight on the Bayou' Pre-Party Kiki
7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
3 Sarasota Memorial HealthSquare Event
2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Observer adds new staff writers
Jessica Salmond, staff writer, is a Missouri native and graduated in May from the University of Missouri. Amanda Morales, staff writer, is a native Floridian who has lived on both coasts.
Arts festival raises awareness
The 20th annual downtown Sarasota Art and Craft Fair takes place Oct. 4 and 5, at Five Points Park and Central Avenue.
Bridging the gap
The Children’s Guardian Fund wants to help teens get hired.