The first Sarasota “Doctor Idol” competition, modeled after “American Idol,” is set for Oct. 23 at Michael’s On East.
The idea came from Molly Turner, a physician liaison at the Silverstein Institute.
“I was out in the field and happened to know a handful of doctors who are also musicians,” Turner said. “I thought it would be a great idea to host ‘American Idol,’ but with doctors.”
Turner presented the suggestion to Dr. Herbert Silverstein, founder and president of the Ear Research Foundation and also an accomplished jazz pianist, and it took off. Even before advertising the competition, ERF sold 250 tickets.
“A lot of times people in doctors’ offices would be totally shocked to find out their doctor was a musician, so it’s been a fun experience finding people to get involved,” Turner said. “These doctors aren’t participating for the prizes, they’re really doing it because they are charitable, wonderful people.”
Each of the 12 bands, which must feature at least one local doctor, will have 10 minutes to perform. The winning band will receive a prize basket and a trophy.
The Doc Hollywood Boot Camp Band featuring Dr. Jerold Saef will perform “New York State of Mind” and “Brown-Eyed Girl.”
“The judges will either tear us apart or build us up,” Saef said. “I’m used to playing by myself, so I’m learning to play in sync with other people, stay as a team and keep the rhythm.”
“Doctor Idol” will be held from 7 to 11 p.m. Friday, Oct. 23, at Michael’s On East. Tickets are $25 and are available at www.EarRF.org or at the door. All proceeds will benefit the Ear Research Foundation’s Children’s Community Outreach and Cochlear Implant Programs.
• Doc and the Ear-inginals featuring Drs. Herbert Silverstein and Jack Wazen
• Project SRQ featuring Dr. Melvin Price
• Dr. David Mullen’s Jazz Quartet featuring Dr. David Mullen
• KlezMania on the Gulf featuring Dr. Robert Feldman
• Dr. Bob and the Blues Injectors featuring Drs. Robert Koser Berimbau and Jeff Sack
• Mac Daddy Band featuring Dr. Jack Wazen
• Doc Hollywood Boot Camp Band featuring Dr. Jerold Saef
• Nashville Tuxedo featuring Drs. Autumn Powell and Joseph Hornberger
• Burke-n-Docs featuring Dr. Tad Kasanovich
• Goodbyeddie featuring Dr. Russ Vega
• Solo pianist Dr. Isaac Zamora
Currently 0 Responses
29 SILL Global Issues Lecture
10:30 am - 12:00 pm
29 SILL Global Issues Seminar
2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
29 3rd annual Fashionistas for a Cause Bartending Fundraiser
30 AJC's 2015 Winter Lunch & Learn
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
The ribbon-cutting ceremony Saturday for the Gulf Gate Public Library was a cause for celebration.
The doctor is in
Students in the early childhood program The Gan at Temple Sinai donned stethoscopes for an exercise in veterinary medicine.
Did you notice a familiar name in the February issue of Southern Living magazine?