+ City’s street-paving project set to start July 8
The city’s annual street-paving project will begin Monday, July 8 and continue through November with about 12 to 13 miles of streets being repaved.
During the month of July, 20 streets are scheduled to be repaved. Work progress will depend on weather. Prior to the start of work, signs providing specific dates when crews will be in the area will be posted in neighborhoods.
The Public Works Department decides which streets need the work based on established criteria. Throughout the year, crews use a scale of 1 to 100 to rate roads as they drive around the city. Staff also takes residents’ recommendations into consideration.
For more information, contact the project manager, Mike DelRossi, at 365-2200, Ext. 6236.
+ Traffic restrictions set for Fourth of July holiday weekend
Independence Day festivities will affect traffic through the weekend, according to a press release from the Sarasota Police Department.
During the fireworks display July 4, parking will not be allowed on the bayfront on the south end of Island Park. The area between Ringling Boulevard south to the Selby Gardens property line will be reserved as a viewing area for pedestrians. This restriction is new this year.
During the Festival Parade of Boats July 5, part of the Suncoast Super Boat Grand Prix Festival, public consumption of alcohol will only be allowed from the 1400 to the 1500 block of Main Street, and only from 5 p.m. to midnight.
Other affected areas include:
• Centennial Park and Boat Ramp, which will be closed at 6 p.m. from July 3 until July 7
• Bayfront Drive from Gulfstream Avenue to Orange Avenue, which will close from 7 to 10 p.m. July 4.
• The 10th Street and North Tamiami Trail entry to the Van Wezel and Centennial Park, which will be closed from 9 a.m. July 5 until 6 p.m. July 7.
• Several roads will be closed beginning as early as 2 p.m. for the Festival Parade of Boats on July 5.
City Commission Meeting Wrapup
During the Monday, July 1 City Commission meeting, commissioners:
• Amended the city code to add Payne Park to the list of parks that require dogs to be on leashes. The commission also voted to designate the playground area of Payne Park as a pet-free zone.
• Approved an amendment to the city’s contract with American Traffic Solutions to allow for a hearing process for people appealing citations issued due to red-light cameras. The amendment was created to comply with a Florida law that went into effect July 1.
• Agreed to refund $7,993 to Bob Richards and Kenny Barr, owners of The Sports Page Bar & Grill and BK Wine and Spirits. Richards and Barr had paid $10,657 in filing fees for various applications that would allow them to open their business in a new location, but they eventually withdrew their development petitions.
The next regular City Commission meeting is scheduled for 2:30 and 6 p.m. Monday, July 15, City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
Meetings & Agendas
- Regular County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, July 9, Robert L. Anderson Administration Center, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice.
- Regular County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Wednesday, July 10, Commission Chamber, Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota.
- County Commission Budget Workshop — 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 10, Third Floor Think Tank, Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota.
Currently 0 Responses
27 Daughters For Life Gala Luncheon
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
27 Friday Fish Fry Dinner
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
27 Free Soul Yoga class
5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
28 Free A'quarel Paint Playday for the kids
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Do the hop
When the curious students at the Forty Carrots Family Center checked on their class garden, they noticed something moving in the mulch.
Taking love to new heights
The sky was the actual limit for the vow renewal of Ed and Dora Sementelli Saturday, at Autumn of Sarasota.
All grown pup
On Jan. 29, guide dog Sotheby walked across the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall stage to receive his diploma as a Southeastern Guide Dog graduate with his new handler, Ginny Eichholz.