Chef Harry Christensen, owner of Harry’s Continental Kitchens, has been in the food-service business on Longboat Key since 1979. A native of Green Bay, Wis., Harry first started his cooking career working at the Green Bay Packers’ training camp cafeteria.
Christensen and his wife, Lynn, moved to Florida after working at the Waldorf Astoria, in New York. In 1979, Christensen, at age 24, opened Continental Kitchens, a gourmet take-out and deli. Since then, Christensen’s Continental Kitchens has expanded to offer catering, fine dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a convenience store offering quality produce, meats and prepared meals. The business still offers its deli and take-out services, as well.
For more about Harry’s Continental Kitchens, visit harryskitchen.com. Enjoy a recipe and demonstrational video for Christensen’s steak Harwood below. For more about Sarasota-Manatee Fresh Originals, visit freshoriginals.com.
Click here to view more in the kitchen videos.
• 2 4-ounce filet mignons, seasoned with Harry’s Rub
1 tablespoon butter
1 pinch chopped garlic
1 pinch chopped shallots
2 ounces Dijon mustard
2 ounces brown sugar
6 ounces port wine
2 ounces demi-glaze
1. Season fillets with Harry’s Rub, and sear on both sides.
2. Top each with mustard and brown sugar.
3. Finish in a hot oven to caramelize sugar, and cook to required temperature. (According to foodsafety.gov, minimum internal temperature of beef should be 160 degrees Fahrenheit.)
4. Sautée shallots and garlic with butter.
5. Deglaze pan with wine and demi-glaze and reduce sauce.
6. Top fillets with sauce.
Currently 0 Responses
4 Meet the Sky
5 Volunteer Connect Meeting
11:30 am - 12:00 pm
9 Back to School Bash 2014
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
9 Cat Depot Leash Walking Class
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Painting with a Twist-Sarasota hosted its fifth annual fundraising event for the Vera Bradley Breast Cancer Foundation Monday.
The Tiny Hands Foundation is looking for volunteers for this weekend’s Backpack Brigade event Saturday, Aug. 2, at the Boys & Girls Club of Sarasota.
Heron East Assisted Living Facility held its second annual “Senior Prom” last month.