Sarasota County will create a Budget Oversight Committee that will assist in budget-related issues.
The committee will be made up of prominent citizens who will review the county’s 2010 budget and make suggestions and criticisms.
Each county commissioner nominated at least one citizen to appoint to the board. The list includes:
• Robert L. Anderson, former county commissioner
• Kelly Caldwell, CEO and president of Caldwell Trust Co.
• Lisa Carlton, former Florida senator
• Harrison Fox, former staff member for U.S. House Budget Committee and U.S. Senate Finance Committee
• Robert Long, former Milwaukee Public Schools assistant superintendent
• Eric Resker, financial planner for AIMCO
• John Saputo, owner of Gold Coast Eagle Distributing
• Mary Anne Servian, former Sarasota mayor
• Richard Singer, retired economist
• Joseph Welch, builder
Commission Chairman Jon Thaxton came up with the idea to create the committee.
“We get criticism that we’re wasteful,” Thaxton said. “So, I thought those in the private industry might be able to see things in the budget that we didn’t. This is an all-star cast.”
Currently 0 Responses
24 "Smart, Sassy, Strong & Classy!" Women's Gala & Speed Networking Event
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
24 Sunsets at Selby
5:30 pm - 9:00 pm
25 Mindful Practice
25 Ed U Tainment
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Can you dig it?
Third- and fourth-grade students of Temple Beth Sholom had a chance to brush up on their paleontology skills last week while digging for faux dinosaur bones.
Sound of scholars
Local students Caleb Upton and Matthew Vaadi received some help for their upcoming studies to the tune of $1,000 each from the Sarasota Chorus of the Keys. The scholarships were made possible through the Sheridan E. Brown Memorial Scholarship Fund. Both students plan to use the funds toward a career in music.
High Five Moments of the Week
The top five sports moments of the week.