+ County bans space-saving in public lots
Sarasota County commissioners approved an April 24 public hearing to consider amending an ordinance to ban parking-space saving in public parking lots.
The ordinance would ban people from blocking vacant spaces, with a $97 citation for violations.
It gives the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office a tool to avoid parking lot altercations at Siesta Key Public Beach and elsewhere.
Meetings & Agendas
• Siesta Key Village Association Annual Breakfast — 8 a.m. Saturday, March 23, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, Community Room, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
• The Lexicon of Sustainability public event — Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; March 24 to April 1, Selby Public Library, 1331 First St., Sarasota.
• Siesta Key Village Association Meeting — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 2, Daiquiri Deck Raw Bar, 5250 Ocean Blvd., Siesta
• Siesta Key Association Meeting — 4 p.m. Thursday, April 4, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
Meeting wrap up
Sarasota City Commission
At the Sarasota City Commission meeting Monday, March 18:
• Commissioners terminated a project that would have added on-street parking to Kumquat Court in the Rosemary District. Commissioners said they were concerned adding on-street parking to both sides of the street would have made it difficult for emergency vehicles to travel down the street.
• Commissioners voted against creating a task force on homelessness.
• Commissioners voted 4-1 to hold off on creating an ad-hoc committee that would have studied possible ordinances regulating downtown sound. Instead, commissioners asked the city attorney to review current enforcement regulations, seek advice from a sound expert and plan discussions on potential changes.
The next City Commission meeting will be held at 2:30 and 6 p.m. Monday, April 1, City Commission chambers, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota.
Currently 0 Responses
1 Community Cookout
2 3rd annual 'Power of the Girl' Business Breakfast
2 French apÃ©ro evening
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Bridging the gap
The Children’s Guardian Fund wants to help teens get hired.
Win big in two Observer contests
Starting in October, the Observer will now offer prizes for winners of the weather photo contest, sponsored by Manasota Flooring Inc.
Can you dig it?
Third- and fourth-grade students of Temple Beth Sholom had a chance to brush up on their paleontology skills last week while digging for faux dinosaur bones.