+ Ice-cream shop opens on Main Street
Scoopdaddy’s ice-cream shop recently opened at 1359 Main St., in downtown Sarasota.
Scoopdaddy’s is known for serving old-fashioned milkshakes, ice-cream floats and banana splits amid a vast collection of 1940s,’50s and ’60s memorabilia.
Store hours are: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday. The original Scoopdaddy’s is located on St. Armands Circle.
+ County continues hydrant replacement
Sarasota County staff continues to replace and repair fire hydrants throughout the county after identifying 57 inoperable hydrants in November.
The number of non-working hydrants has decreased to nine as of Feb. 22, said Sarasota County Director of Field Services Spencer Anderson. Four of the remaining inoperable hydrants must be repaired, and staff will replace the other five.
Staff or contractors must shut off water to make repairs to or replace one of the roughly 7,000 hydrants in the county, which results in non-potable water for three days. One of the replacements for Bahia Vista is delayed until May.
Sarasota County Commission
The Sarasota County Commission recognized 2013 as the year of Viva Florida 500 and March 2013 as Quilting Month during the Feb. 26 meeting.
Deputy County Administrator Bill Little fought back tears, and the audience in the Commission Chambers stood to applaud during recognition of the 18-year veteran’s retirement.
Other items presented during the morning session included:
• Commissioners approved a staff request to negotiate a contract with Sweet Sparkman Architects to develop an action plan to move the Fruitville Initiative ahead.
• Keep Sarasota County Beautiful Advisory Board annual report.
• Sarasota County Parks Advisory and Recreation Council annual report.
Siesta Isles Assocation
Nine board members attended the Siesta Isles Association meeting Feb. 21. With a quorum, the board addressed the following issues:
• Members agreed there is not a right of way connecting Cape Aqua to Beach Road. The property owner was within his rights to build a fence at the popular shortcut.
• Renters at a home at the 5500 block of Cape Leyte covered a bright red kayak on a trailer to avoid violating neighborhood bylaws. But, board members determined it should still be moved out of street view.
• Members decided a storage unit at the 5200 block of Cape Leyte is not in compliance with bylaws because it is not being used for construction and has been on the property for more than month.
• Preparations for the Siesta Isles Association annual dinner meeting, which will take place at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28, at St. Boniface Episcopal Church. The theme is “All-American.”
• Members considered a long-term capital-investment plan to beautify neighborhood entrances at Beach Road and Midnight Pass Road.
Meetings & Agendas
• Siesta Isles Association membership meeting — 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
• Sarasota City Commission Regular Meeting —2:30 and 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 4. City Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• Siesta Key Village Association Meeting — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 5, Daiquiri Deck Raw Bar, 5250 Ocean Blvd., Siesta
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, March 5, R.L. Anderson Administration Center, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
• Siesta Key Association Meeting — 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 5, St. Boniface Episcopal Church, 5615 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Wednesday, March 6, Administration building, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
Currently 0 Responses
5 HOLIDAY BAZAAR
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
5 Siesta Key Association Board Meeting
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
5 Wine, Dine, and Pine
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
6 Holiday Shopping with Artist Elizabeth Van Riper at the Sarasota Ritz Carlton
9:00 am - 6:00 am
6 Holiday Boutique
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
6 37th Annual 1st Friday Art Walk "Taste of the Season"
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
6 Republican Women's Club Luncheon
7 16th Annual Jingle & Jog 5K Race/1K Walk-Run
7:00 am - 11:00 am
The Rotary Club of Sarasota Keys is seeking volunteers from now through Dec. 24, to help man its Salvation Army kettle bell during the holiday season.
In honor of our servicemen and women, Stoneybrook Golf & Country Club held its 10th annual Armed Forces Cup Friday, Nov. 8.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota County will receive $13,000 from the Comcast Foundation for its participation in Comcast Digital Connectors 2013-2014.