+ Commissioners deny Foxfire Golf Course re-zone
More than 20 residents pled with Sarasota County commissioners Feb. 13, to deny a petition to re-zone 193 acres of land that was formerly part of a landfill near Foxfire Golf Course.
Commissioners cited concerns about its health hazard and denied the petition with a 4-0 vote. Commissioner Nora Patterson recused herself from the vote because John Patterson, her husband, represented the petitioner in the past.
Attorney Bill Merrill represented Foxfire Properties LLC, the firm petitioning for the land-use designation tweak.
In other County Commission news:
• Commissioners, in a Feb. 12 letter to the Sarasota County School Board, appealed the Sarasota High School rebuild, in which the School Board proposes partial destruction of the Paul F. Rudolph building.
• The County Commission approved $90,000 in spending associated with a bid to host the 2017 World Rowing Championship. Manatee County will share the cost burden if it approves the bid.
Meetings & Agendas
• Community Safety Planning Work Group — 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, Sarasota County Health and Human Services, 2200 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Planning Commission Meeting — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Siesta Isles Association Meeting — 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, St. Michael the Archangel, 5394 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
• Criminal Justice Commission Meeting — Noon Monday, Feb. 25, Administration Building, Third Floor Think Tank, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 27, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
Currently 1 Response
- Looking for article
1 Social Media for Social Change Training
1 Season of Nonviolence Kickoff Event
2 Town Hall Lecture Series: Jon M. Huntsman, Jr.
10:30 am - 7:30 pm
2 Alzheimer'a Association "Reason to Hope" luncheon
The ribbon-cutting ceremony Saturday for the Gulf Gate Public Library was a cause for celebration.
The doctor is in
Students in the early childhood program The Gan at Temple Sinai donned stethoscopes for an exercise in veterinary medicine.
Did you notice a familiar name in the February issue of Southern Living magazine?