+ Commissioners deny Foxfire Golf Course re-zone
More than 20 residents pled with Sarasota County commissioners Feb. 13, to deny a petition to re-zone 193 acres of land that was formerly part of a landfill near Foxfire Golf Course.
Commissioners cited concerns about its health hazard and denied the petition with a 4-0 vote. Commissioner Nora Patterson recused herself from the vote because John Patterson, her husband, represented the petitioner in the past.
Attorney Bill Merrill represented Foxfire Properties LLC, the firm petitioning for the land-use designation tweak.
In other County Commission news:
• Commissioners, in a Feb. 12 letter to the Sarasota County School Board, appealed the Sarasota High School rebuild, in which the School Board proposes partial destruction of the Paul F. Rudolph building.
• The County Commission approved $90,000 in spending associated with a bid to host the 2017 World Rowing Championship. Manatee County will share the cost burden if it approves the bid.
Meetings & Agendas
• Community Safety Planning Work Group — 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, Sarasota County Health and Human Services, 2200 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Planning Commission Meeting — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Siesta Isles Association Meeting — 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, St. Michael the Archangel, 5394 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
• Criminal Justice Commission Meeting — Noon Monday, Feb. 25, Administration Building, Third Floor Think Tank, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 27, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
Currently 1 Response
- Looking for article
2 French apÃ©ro evening
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
2 Florida's Children First 2014 Sarasota Reception
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
2 'Safe Sex Halloween Bash: Midnight on the Bayou' Pre-Party Kiki
7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
3 Sarasota Memorial HealthSquare Event
2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Observer adds new staff writers
Jessica Salmond, staff writer, is a Missouri native and graduated in May from the University of Missouri. Amanda Morales, staff writer, is a native Floridian who has lived on both coasts.
Arts festival raises awareness
The 20th annual downtown Sarasota Art and Craft Fair takes place Oct. 4 and 5, at Five Points Park and Central Avenue.
Bridging the gap
The Children’s Guardian Fund wants to help teens get hired.