+ Commissioners deny Foxfire Golf Course re-zone
More than 20 residents pled with Sarasota County commissioners Feb. 13, to deny a petition to re-zone 193 acres of land that was formerly part of a landfill near Foxfire Golf Course.
Commissioners cited concerns about its health hazard and denied the petition with a 4-0 vote. Commissioner Nora Patterson recused herself from the vote because John Patterson, her husband, represented the petitioner in the past.
Attorney Bill Merrill represented Foxfire Properties LLC, the firm petitioning for the land-use designation tweak.
In other County Commission news:
• Commissioners, in a Feb. 12 letter to the Sarasota County School Board, appealed the Sarasota High School rebuild, in which the School Board proposes partial destruction of the Paul F. Rudolph building.
• The County Commission approved $90,000 in spending associated with a bid to host the 2017 World Rowing Championship. Manatee County will share the cost burden if it approves the bid.
Meetings & Agendas
• Community Safety Planning Work Group — 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, Sarasota County Health and Human Services, 2200 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Planning Commission Meeting — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Siesta Isles Association Meeting — 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, St. Michael the Archangel, 5394 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta
• Criminal Justice Commission Meeting — Noon Monday, Feb. 25, Administration Building, Third Floor Think Tank, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Sarasota County Commission Meeting — 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 27, Administration Building, Commission Chambers, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
Currently 1 Response
- Looking for article
3 FREE 5K Fun Run
7:00 am - 8:00 am
3 Historical Trolley Tour
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
6 Feast of the Epiphany offers beautiful close to Christmas season
6 SILL Global Issues Lecture
10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Couple celebrates 54th anniversary
Carol and Jules Green met at a summer camp where Carol was a junior counselor and Jules was a waiter.
Officers welcome holiday backup
The Sarasota Police Department is on the lookout for an elf who goes by the name of Officer Elf on the Shelf.
Sound of hope
The holiday season hasn’t officially started until our favorite bell ringers return to their posts.