+ DID communicates with taxpayers
After hearing criticism that the taxpayers who fund the Downtown Improvement District (DID) don’t know what’s happening with their money, the DID board voted to hire someone to compile a contact list of taxpayers so they can be better informed.
Commercial property owners in the area from Goodrich Avenue west to Gulfstream Avenue and Second Street south to Ringling Boulevard are taxed a maximum of 2 mills to fund capital improvements, maintenance, marketing and security in that area.
Some property owners have stated the DID wasn’t communicating as well as it could about how their taxes were being used.
+ Non-profit offers free tax services
The United Way plans to open three locations in the city of Sarasota, where taxpayers can get free tax-preparation services.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program provides tax-return preparation by IRS-certified volunteers.
The services are intended for individuals and families earning less than $49,000 in 2009.
The locations are: United Way, 1445 Second St.; New College of Florida, 5700 N. Tamiami Trail; and Janie’s Garden, 2350 Central Ave.
Central Sarasota County residents can receive the same free services at Laurel Park Community Center, 509 Collins Road. Call 308-4357.
+ Meetings & Agendas
• Bird Key Improvement Association — 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 21, at Bird Key Yacht Club, 301 Bird Key Drive, Sarasota
• Planning Commission — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 21, at the Commission Chambers, Sarasota County Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Criminal Justice Commission — Noon Monday, Jan. 25, Third Floor Think Tank, Sarasota County Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Police Advisory Panel — 5:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25, Commission Chambers, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• Downtown Improvement District — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 26, Room 112, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• County Commission — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 26, Commission Chambers, Robert L. Anderson Administration Center, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
• City Commission Retreat — 1 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 26, Room 100, Federal Building, 111 S. Orange Ave., Sarasota
• County Commission — 9 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 27, Commission Chambers, Robert L. Anderson Administration Center, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
NUMBERS IN THE NEWS
1 — Manager that Commissioner Suzanne Atwell wanted to serve the city’s economic-development needs, as well as the needs of three downtown organizations.
$500,000 — Approximate cost of a county-wide special election.
Currently 0 Responses
25 Fourth Friday at the Historic Downtown Village
25 Sarasota Singles Society Presents "Bastille Day Celebration"
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
26 NRA Pistol Safety
8:00 am - 12:30 pm
26 4th Annual Sarasota Mystic Faire
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Vive La France
The Alliance Francaise held a fundraiser in honor of Bastille Day, or La Fête Nationale, Monday, July 14, at Marina Jack.
Going for Gold
Custodians of Sarasota County Schools enjoyed a day of fun and learning at the annual custodians professional development day July 3, at Riverview High School.
Show of support
Siesta Key Hardware owners Patricia and James Hillier are bringing the island community closer together.