+ DID communicates with taxpayers
After hearing criticism that the taxpayers who fund the Downtown Improvement District (DID) don’t know what’s happening with their money, the DID board voted to hire someone to compile a contact list of taxpayers so they can be better informed.
Commercial property owners in the area from Goodrich Avenue west to Gulfstream Avenue and Second Street south to Ringling Boulevard are taxed a maximum of 2 mills to fund capital improvements, maintenance, marketing and security in that area.
Some property owners have stated the DID wasn’t communicating as well as it could about how their taxes were being used.
+ Non-profit offers free tax services
The United Way plans to open three locations in the city of Sarasota, where taxpayers can get free tax-preparation services.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program provides tax-return preparation by IRS-certified volunteers.
The services are intended for individuals and families earning less than $49,000 in 2009.
The locations are: United Way, 1445 Second St.; New College of Florida, 5700 N. Tamiami Trail; and Janie’s Garden, 2350 Central Ave.
Central Sarasota County residents can receive the same free services at Laurel Park Community Center, 509 Collins Road. Call 308-4357.
+ Meetings & Agendas
• Bird Key Improvement Association — 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 21, at Bird Key Yacht Club, 301 Bird Key Drive, Sarasota
• Planning Commission — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 21, at the Commission Chambers, Sarasota County Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Criminal Justice Commission — Noon Monday, Jan. 25, Third Floor Think Tank, Sarasota County Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota
• Police Advisory Panel — 5:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 25, Commission Chambers, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• Downtown Improvement District — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 26, Room 112, City Hall, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• County Commission — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 26, Commission Chambers, Robert L. Anderson Administration Center, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
• City Commission Retreat — 1 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 26, Room 100, Federal Building, 111 S. Orange Ave., Sarasota
• County Commission — 9 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 27, Commission Chambers, Robert L. Anderson Administration Center, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice
NUMBERS IN THE NEWS
1 — Manager that Commissioner Suzanne Atwell wanted to serve the city’s economic-development needs, as well as the needs of three downtown organizations.
$500,000 — Approximate cost of a county-wide special election.
Currently 0 Responses
30 AJC's 2015 Winter Lunch & Learn
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
30 Fish Fry
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
31 2015 Annual Symposium on Parkinson's Disease
8:00 am - 11:30 am
31 Fire Fest
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
The ribbon-cutting ceremony Saturday for the Gulf Gate Public Library was a cause for celebration.
The doctor is in
Students in the early childhood program The Gan at Temple Sinai donned stethoscopes for an exercise in veterinary medicine.
Did you notice a familiar name in the February issue of Southern Living magazine?