City commissioners paved the way for residents to legally keep chickens in their yards.
Late last night, they approved unanimously ubran chicken keeping, with some restrictions, which including:
• A maximum of four chickens can be kept in any one yard
• Chickens have to be kept in an enclosed or fenced area at all times.
• Enclosures and fenced areas cannot be kept in a front yard
• Enclosures and fenced areas can’t be closer than 10 feet to an adjacent property line.
Nearly 40 supporters and opponents of the measure signed up to publicly speak before the commission. Mayor Kelly Kirschner remarked it was the most people speaking about a single issue since the debate over the Unconditional Surrender sculpture.
For the opponents who feared chickens will cause many problems in neighborhoods, Kirschner cited some statistics from Ft. Collins, Colo., which has allowed chicken keeping for several years.
There were 12,000 animal-control calls in that city last year, he said. But only three of those calls concerned chickens.
Contact Robin Roy at email@example.com.
Currently 3 Responses
- If the Mayor had read any of the material I sent to them trying to correct the all the misstatements made by CLUCK, he would have known that in Ft. Collins, CO, the ordinance REQUIRES that the potential chicken owner complete a course from the local humane society and apply for a permit. It is no wonder they have a low rate of complaint. We have none of that in our ordinance here, only vague promises from CLUCK that they will help with education and enforcement. We, the city, have no way to make them live up to that promise. The Mayor has done the city a great disservice by giving his own personal wants priority over the welfare and common good of the community.
- I demand that the locations of these chicken homes be publicly registered.
I want some free range chicken in my soup and I need it now. Yum!
30 AJC's 2015 Winter Lunch & Learn
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
30 Fish Fry
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
31 2015 Annual Symposium on Parkinson's Disease
8:00 am - 11:30 am
31 Fire Fest
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
The ribbon-cutting ceremony Saturday for the Gulf Gate Public Library was a cause for celebration.
The doctor is in
Students in the early childhood program The Gan at Temple Sinai donned stethoscopes for an exercise in veterinary medicine.
Did you notice a familiar name in the February issue of Southern Living magazine?