The Sarasota County Tax Collector’s Office is seeing more and more frustrated people trying to renew their driver’s licenses. Due to a federal law that took effect Jan. 1, the renewal requirements are much stricter.
Everyone needs three pieces of identification or their license will not be renewed:
1. Original birth certificate, valid U.S. passport, certificate of naturalization or consular report of birth outside the U.S.
2. Social Security number either on the original blue card, W-2 tax form or a paycheck with the number on it.
3. Proof of residential address on a deed, mortgage-payment book, rental agreement, Florida vehicle registration or title, utility bill or Florida voter ID.
“If you just come in expecting to get a license, you probably won’t have this stuff,” said Liz Klaber, deputy tax collector.
Complicating matters for some people, especially newly married women who’ve changed their names, is the fact that names have to exactly match on all three pieces of identification. In those cases, proof also has to be presented showing the name change, such as an original marriage license.
“From a common-sense perspective, we believe who they are, but we have to follow the federal guidelines,” Klaber said.
The new federal guidelines were approved in 2005 as a response to the threat of terrorism.
Klaber said there have been many people who have expressed frustration over the new rules, even some who have said they were ridiculous.
The state has created a Web site, GatherGoGet.com, which lets people fill in their personal information to get a list of exactly what they’ll need to take to the tax collector’s office.
“Please prepare and check what you need ahead of time,” said Klaber. “We don’t have the authority to make an exception for people.”
Contact Robin Roy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 2 Responses
- I think this is a great thing. I want to know our country is safe and not just anyone can get a drivers license. A drivers license is a major proof of identifacation. We need to know who is in this country.
- Don't forget that these new regulations are due to pressure from the federal government in the form of the REAL-ID and PASS-ID guises of security. How much more secure will we be by bringing an additional document or two to renew our drivers license and identification cards? Just one more baby step towards massive government control.
24 Sarasota Christian School Open House
9:00 am - 10:30 am
26 Sarasota Heat Golf Tournament
26 Comcast Cares Day Sarasota
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
26 Air Fair 2014 Radio Controlled Model Aiplanes
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Raising the Barr
TideWell Hospice honored veteran and longtime Sarasota resident Kenny Barr Thursday, April 10.
Sarasota resident and Holocaust survivor Jack Brodman will light the memorial candle at this year’s Yom HaShoah, Holocaust Day Remembrance, hosted by Temple Beth Israel.
Temple Beth Sholom’s youth group celebrated Passover with a Chocolate Seder Sunday, April 13.