The city of Sarasota will be making some parking changes on St. Armands Circle, with some of the changes coming before Thanksgiving Day.
City Commissioners unanimously voted Monday to make four major changes on the Circle that would ease stricter parking restrictions that merchants said had driven away customers.
The changes mark a return to a method of parking enforcement on the Circle that was in place before an increase in enforcement in March.
In addition to easing current parking enforcement, an extra 200 unrestricted on-street parking spaces will be added on the Circle, primarily for the use of employees and residents.
Staff had recommended that commissioners approve three of the four changes—suggesting that a 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday enforcement period remain. But commissioners ultimately voted to go ahead with all four changes.
The changes include:
• Eliminating parking enforcement after 6 p.m., from Monday to Friday.
• Eliminating parking enforcement on Saturdays.
• Removing “box” parking lines around the Circle.
• Adding 200 extra parking spaces on the Circle.
City workers already began removing the “box” parking lines Sunday evening, and city Parking Manager Mark Lyons expected that project to be completed by Thanksgiving Day.
City commissioners also:
• Recognized the city’s finance department for being a recipient of a Government Finance Officers Association’s Certificate of Achievement award for Excellence in Financial Reporting.
• Authorized the execution of the two purchase and sale agreements, at 908 Gillespie Avenue and 1755 Mound Street.
• Discussed a resolution authorizing surety bond and the amounts for the city manager, city clerk, and finance director.
Currently 1 Response
- E-mail is down again.
Don't have time to sit on the phone for two hours.
My settings haven't changed. Trust me, they haven't.
Fix it, PLEASE.
4 Meet the Sky
5 Volunteer Connect Meeting
11:30 am - 12:00 pm
9 Back to School Bash 2014
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
9 Cat Depot Leash Walking Class
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Heron East Assisted Living Facility held its second annual “Senior Prom” last month.
Sarasota nonprofits the Boys and Girls Club of Sarasota County and Big Brothers Big Sisters are hosting donation drives. The Boys and Girls Club’s drive runs from July 21 through Aug. 2 and is accepting clothing, shoes, books and small household items for Goodwill Manasota.
Vive La France
The Alliance Francaise held a fundraiser in honor of Bastille Day, or La Fête Nationale, Monday, July 14, at Marina Jack.