In a 40-page strategic plan released Monday, Nov. 9, Sarasota County Sheriff Tom Knight identifies five major goals that will guide the sheriff’s office for the next five years.
Those goals are:
• Combat criminal activity and address conditions that foster crime and fear in Sarasota County.
• Make the roadways and waterways of Sarasota County safe places on which to travel.
• Recruit, develop, retain and recognize a diverse, educated and skilled workforce.
• Ensure agency and individual accountability by effective and efficient use of personnel, equipment and technology.
• Ensure the safety and security of those utilizing court services and in the county’s correctional facilities.
Knight also detailed 125 specific steps in his strategic plan that the sheriff’s office will take to accomplish those five goals. For example, to more effectively combat crime, Knight wants the sheriff’s office to enhance its response to citizen calls for assistance; assure the exchange of information with other law-enforcement agencies and the community; partner with the community to create innovative and proactive crime-prevention initiatives; effectively use investigative resources to identify and prosecute offenders; assure adequate domestic-security and disaster-preparedness measures are in place; positively impact and inspire the community’s youth; and implement philosophy of intelligence-led policing.
Knight said it’s the first time in the 88-year history of the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office that such a planning tool has been implemented.
Contact Robin Roy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently 1 Response
- This is a far cry from the Jimmy Hardcastle era!! Kudos to Knight for the proposal. Now let's make it work. Law enforcement needs to be an integral part of the community, not an adversarial one, so that we can all work together to make our growing area continue to be a safe and desirable place to live.
6 Holiday Shopping with Artist Elizabeth Van Riper at the Sarasota Ritz Carlton
9:00 am - 6:00 am
6 Holiday Boutique
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
6 37th Annual 1st Friday Art Walk "Taste of the Season"
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
6 Republican Women's Club Luncheon
7 16th Annual Jingle & Jog 5K Race/1K Walk-Run
7:00 am - 11:00 am
7 Third Annual Achieva Reindeer Trot
7 Free Santa Pictures With Kids, Pets and Families
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
7 Gingerbread Houses
During each of the last eight years, the Out-of-Door Academy families have collected food for Gocio Elementary families.
Forty Carrots hosts grandparents
Forty Carrots Family Center invited students’ grandparents to attend Grandparents’ Day Nov. 25.
The Rotary Club of Sarasota Keys is seeking volunteers from now through Dec. 24, to help man its Salvation Army kettle bell during the holiday season.