+ Sarasota seeks new hire for finance post
Sarasota city officials have begun their search for a new finance director to replace Chris Lyons, who announced his retirement two weeks ago for health reasons.
The city will post advertisements for the position soon, the second top-post opening that City Manager Tom Barwin will have to fill this fall.
“That is a key position with the city,” said Barwin. “We are already organizing the recruitment effort.”
Because Florida has a specific property-tax structure and financial guidelines, Barwin said candidates who either currently work for a Florida municipality or who have experience working with a Florida municipality would be a good fit for the position.
Lyons was finance director for the past five years, and he helped prepare 23 fiscal year budgets as a city employee. Recently, he led efforts to cut city costs and reform pensions. The tough budget years will continue, as property values stabilize.
Meetings & Agendas
• Meet and Greet with Police Chief candidates — 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, 777 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
• Coalition of City Neighborhood Association meeting — 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 6, 2700 Waldemere St.
• Special City Commission meeting (wayfinding) — 2 to 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8, City Hall, City Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• St. Armands BID Board of Directors meeting — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, City Hall, Room 109, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• Historic Preservation Board — 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9 City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota
Currently 0 Responses
30 French networking event
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
30 French business networking event
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
31 Anna Maria Oyster Bar Halloween Blood Drive
11:30 am - 6:30 pm
31 Siesta Key Village Safe Treats
3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Ladies enjoy a night out
Women of all ages ditched their heels and slipped on their running shoes for the New Balance Girls Night Out.
Residents help tame lionfish
A total of 251 lionfish were scooped out of the ocean for the inaugural Sarasota Lionfish Derby last weekend.
Let them eat cake!
The staff and residents at The Glenridge on Palmer Ranch celebrated the first resident to become a member of the centennial club.