+ Sarasota seeks new hire for finance post
Sarasota city officials have begun their search for a new finance director to replace Chris Lyons, who announced his retirement two weeks ago for health reasons.
The city will post advertisements for the position soon, the second top-post opening that City Manager Tom Barwin will have to fill this fall.
“That is a key position with the city,” said Barwin. “We are already organizing the recruitment effort.”
Because Florida has a specific property-tax structure and financial guidelines, Barwin said candidates who either currently work for a Florida municipality or who have experience working with a Florida municipality would be a good fit for the position.
Lyons was finance director for the past five years, and he helped prepare 23 fiscal year budgets as a city employee. Recently, he led efforts to cut city costs and reform pensions. The tough budget years will continue, as property values stabilize.
Meetings & Agendas
• Meet and Greet with Police Chief candidates — 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, 777 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
• Coalition of City Neighborhood Association meeting — 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 6, 2700 Waldemere St.
• Special City Commission meeting (wayfinding) — 2 to 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8, City Hall, City Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• St. Armands BID Board of Directors meeting — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, City Hall, Room 109, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• Historic Preservation Board — 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9 City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota
Currently 0 Responses
18 600-plus pilgrims to join city leaders, clergy for Good Friday pilgrimage down Main Street
18 Jungle Trails & Bunny Tails Easter Event
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
18 Goodwill Hosts Electric Vehicle Revolution Luncheon
11:30 am - 1:00 pm
18 Friday Fish Fry
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Temple Beth Sholom’s youth group celebrated Passover with a Chocolate Seder Sunday, April 13.
Members of the Sarasota Seminole Club worked with Habitat for Humanity of Sarasota as part of Florida State University’s Seminole Service Day.
Piero Rivolta and his wife, Rachele, opened their home to the Pines of Sarasota March 26.