+ Sarasota seeks new hire for finance post
Sarasota city officials have begun their search for a new finance director to replace Chris Lyons, who announced his retirement two weeks ago for health reasons.
The city will post advertisements for the position soon, the second top-post opening that City Manager Tom Barwin will have to fill this fall.
“That is a key position with the city,” said Barwin. “We are already organizing the recruitment effort.”
Because Florida has a specific property-tax structure and financial guidelines, Barwin said candidates who either currently work for a Florida municipality or who have experience working with a Florida municipality would be a good fit for the position.
Lyons was finance director for the past five years, and he helped prepare 23 fiscal year budgets as a city employee. Recently, he led efforts to cut city costs and reform pensions. The tough budget years will continue, as property values stabilize.
Meetings & Agendas
• Meet and Greet with Police Chief candidates — 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, 777 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
• Coalition of City Neighborhood Association meeting — 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 6, 2700 Waldemere St.
• Special City Commission meeting (wayfinding) — 2 to 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8, City Hall, City Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• St. Armands BID Board of Directors meeting — 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, City Hall, Room 109, 1565 First St., Sarasota
• Historic Preservation Board — 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9 City Hall, Commission Chambers, 1565 First St., Sarasota
Currently 0 Responses
24 What are you doing on Christmas Eve?
7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
26 Lights In Bloom
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
3 FREE 5K Fun Run
7:00 am - 8:00 am
3 Historical Trolley Tour
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Sound of hope
The holiday season hasn’t officially started until our favorite bell ringers return to their posts.
Shoppers and residents were treated to some holiday harmonies by the Senior Friendship Centers’ group, the Second Wind Harmonica Players, in Downtown Sarasota.
Stepping up to the plate
The Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota County teamed up to bring the anti-bullying event Rachel’s Challenge to Sarasota Dec. 3.