The county has adopted an ordinance that prevents a dog or other animal from being tied up outside, or tethered, under certain circumstances.
The new law prohibits owners from tethering their animals unless:
• The animal is in the owner’s sight.
• The animal is not outside during extreme heat, cold or storms.
• The animal has access to food and water.
• The animal is at least 6 months old.
• The tether is connected to the animal by a leather or nylon collar or body harness.
• The tether is five times the animal’s body length.
• The tether does not weigh more than one-eighth of the animal’s weight.
• The tether is free of tangles.
This new law comes at the urging of a group called Dogs Deserve Better, which explained to county officials that dogs become more territorial, aggressive and dangerous when they are constantly chained outside with little human interaction.
Robin Roy can be contacted at email@example.com.
Currently 4 Responses
- No1, Mark, we are not freaks. We love animals. You talk about human suffering, it's the humans that cause all the trouble. If you can call them human. The horrible things that they do to animals, just because they can, the humans are bigger than the animals, so they can do it and get away with it alot of the time. If you were chained by the neck, in 100 degree or -10 degree weather and stuck in a old dog house for years and years, left out in the rain and snow or the hot sun, and maybe fed slop, once a day, we'd see what you think about it then. I'm sure that you would change you mind. You'd give any thing for a warm bed, a cool house, some good food, a bath, and some affection. So until you've lived even 1 day of what life is like for them, I don't care what you think.
- You idiots make me sick...just more government intrusion…I don’t need a law to tell me how to take care of my dog…
How about we end the Human suffering First ! Then we’ll worry about the Dogs..!
- that's a great law and really should be enacted on a national basis......
- Even dogs who are left outside during the day while the owners are at work but are not tethered become territorial and aggressive and usually bark constantly. I would have like to have seen this ordinance go further, but it's a start.
17 Sarasota's Shamrock Pub Annual St Patrick's Day Block Party March 17
17 Nia with Gail in Sarasota
4:45 pm - 5:45 pm
18 Center for Architecture Lecture Series
20 Town Hall Series: Leon Panetta
20 Reason to Hope
20 Junior League of Sarasota Tour of Homes Kick-off Party
22 Window Art Free Playday for the kids
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
22 Phi Beta Kappa Luncheon
11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Shine bright like a diamond
Ten-year-old Montserat Vasquez can now add jewelry designer to her list of hobbies.
The Ikebana International Sarasota Chapter held its 46th annual exhibition Feb. 22 and Feb. 23, at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.
Darwin’s on 4th’s brewery, Darwin Brewing Co., earned a silver medal in the Best Florida Beers porter category for its Charapa Spiced Porter at Tampa Bay Beer Week March 1 through March 9.