Eight county advisory boards are low on attendance and high in vacant positions.
The Commission Services department has reached out to the Sarasota County Commission to seek assistance in spreading the word about the vacancies and generating interest for potential new members.
County staff has identified multiple advisory councils with so many vacancies that make it difficult for the councils to meet quorum, according to a memo from the department to the county administration and commission.
The councils are:
• Bicycle Pedestrian Trail Advisory Committee – nine vacancies out of 16 voting members.
• Building Code Board of Adjustments and Appeals – four vacancies out of seven members.
• Citizens Advisory Committee for Public Transportation – four vacancies out of eight members.
• General Contractors Licensing & Examining Board – six vacancies out of 13.
• Health Facilities Authority & Industrial Development Revenue Bond Citizens Advisory Committee – two vacancies out of five members.
• Mechanical Contractors Licensing & Examining Board – five vacancies out of 13 members.
• Waterways Advisory Council – two vacancies out of five members.
• Water and Sewer Advisory Committee – five vacancies out of 10 members.
The Commission Services department updates a list of council vacancies published every week on the county government website and posts notices and flyers in county buildings and constitutional offices. The department also strategically targets specific communities or external organizations, such as trade associations and SCAT passengers, to generate interest, according to the memo.
Commission Services asked for assistance and advice from the commission to recruit and retain members for these advisory councils.
People who are interested in joining a council can check for the vacancies by going to scgov.net, clicking on Calendar and then BCC Weekly Calendar. The PDF lists the vacancies and contact numbers for the councils along with meetings and agendas for the week.
Currently 0 Responses
30 AJC's 2015 Winter Lunch & Learn
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
30 Fish Fry
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
31 2015 Annual Symposium on Parkinson's Disease
8:00 am - 11:30 am
31 Fire Fest
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
The ribbon-cutting ceremony Saturday for the Gulf Gate Public Library was a cause for celebration.
The doctor is in
Students in the early childhood program The Gan at Temple Sinai donned stethoscopes for an exercise in veterinary medicine.
Did you notice a familiar name in the February issue of Southern Living magazine?