Monday is the first day of school all across Sarasota County, and as a result, both the Sarasota Police Department and Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office will be patrolling school zones.
The sheriff’s office reminds drivers that they must stop for all school buses, when their stop signs are out and lights are flashing, even if the bus is on the opposing side of the street.
The one exception to that rule is if the bus is on the opposite side of the street, and a median at least 4 feet wide divides the road.
Sheriff’s deputies will be issuing the following fines for any driver who does not obey the law in a school zone.
• Failure to stop for a school bus, $271.
• 1-9 mph over the speed limit, $156
• 10-14 mph over the speed limit, $306
• 15-19 mph over the speed limit, $406
• 20-29 mph over the speed limit, $456
• More than 30 mph over the speed limit results in a mandatory court appearance.
• Passing a school bus on the exit side results in a mandatory court appearance.
The fines within the city limits are a bit different. They include:
• Speeding in a school zone, up to $288 and mandatory court appearance.
• Passing a stopped school bus, $206
• Running a red light or stop sign in a school zone, $271.
The police department will not issue any warnings for violations that endanger school children.
Contact Robin Roy at email@example.com.
Currently 0 Responses
27 Blanche & Baby Jane Drag Queen Bingo
5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
29 Basic Obedience 1 - K9 Training Course
30 Laughter Yoga Leader Certification Training
9:00 am - 6:00 pm
1 Urbanfit Round 3
6:00 am - 7:00 am
Tw-Ice as Nice
Bob’s Boathouse hosted an ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and fundraiser event Tuesday.
Mazel tov to Klauber and Mancini
The West Coast Florida Region of AJC (American Jewish Committee) will honor Michael Klauber and Phil Mancini, of Michael’s On East, with its Civic Achievement Award in November.
Every dog has its day
Consulate Health Care of Sarasota’s beloved service dog, Danielle, retires after providing five years of therapy to the residents and patients at Consulate.