Monday is the first day of school all across Sarasota County, and as a result, both the Sarasota Police Department and Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office will be patrolling school zones.
The sheriff’s office reminds drivers that they must stop for all school buses, when their stop signs are out and lights are flashing, even if the bus is on the opposing side of the street.
The one exception to that rule is if the bus is on the opposite side of the street, and a median at least 4 feet wide divides the road.
Sheriff’s deputies will be issuing the following fines for any driver who does not obey the law in a school zone.
• Failure to stop for a school bus, $271.
• 1-9 mph over the speed limit, $156
• 10-14 mph over the speed limit, $306
• 15-19 mph over the speed limit, $406
• 20-29 mph over the speed limit, $456
• More than 30 mph over the speed limit results in a mandatory court appearance.
• Passing a school bus on the exit side results in a mandatory court appearance.
The fines within the city limits are a bit different. They include:
• Speeding in a school zone, up to $288 and mandatory court appearance.
• Passing a stopped school bus, $206
• Running a red light or stop sign in a school zone, $271.
The police department will not issue any warnings for violations that endanger school children.
Contact Robin Roy at email@example.com.
Currently 0 Responses
25 Fourth Friday at the Historic Downtown Village
25 Sarasota Singles Society Presents "Bastille Day Celebration"
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
26 NRA Pistol Safety
8:00 am - 12:30 pm
26 4th Annual Sarasota Mystic Faire
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Heron East Assisted Living Facility held its second annual “Senior Prom” last month.
Sarasota nonprofits the Boys and Girls Club of Sarasota County and Big Brothers Big Sisters are hosting donation drives. The Boys and Girls Club’s drive runs from July 21 through Aug. 2 and is accepting clothing, shoes, books and small household items for Goodwill Manasota.
Vive La France
The Alliance Francaise held a fundraiser in honor of Bastille Day, or La Fête Nationale, Monday, July 14, at Marina Jack.